New HPI Baja 5b Flux owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smirkracing

Hi All,

After many years of RC I have finally gotten my dream vehicle - a new Baja 5b Flux. I am running a Castle 2028 1100kv motor (rated for much larger vehicles, so should run cool). I expect to run 6s and 8s.

One small thing: the way the motor is oriented, if everything is left to default settings, the motor rotates the "wrong" way. So you have to either swap motor wires or reverse the throttle on the transmitter. The problem is, both of those actions seem to mess up the sensor wire. When I get the motor rotating the "right" way (i.e. so that squeezing the throttle forward makes the go forward) and then plug in the sensor wire, everything stops working.

Are any of you running sensor wires? What combination of settings did you use to be able to run the sensor wire?

Also, does this even matter? Maybe with such a huge vehicle, and such low KV ratings, the sensor wire doesn't matter much.

Thanks!

Just set the throttle to reverse on the radio. It's not a real big deal. It should still brake and function correctly. Same as reversing a servo. You may have to change some settings on the esc, but I can't confirm that. Pretty easy to do with castle link. (If thats still a thing)
And I don't run sensored with my brushless set up, even though I could. Just didn't see the point for a basher set up.

If they're running a Castle ESC, it's not mentioned. Maybe it's a given though?
Any manufacturer worth their salt offers a motor rotation function in their ESC settings just for this scenario. Sensored setups have to run the motor wires A-A, B-B,C-C or as the OP found out, it doesn't work. You could damage or destroy the ESC or the sensors in the motor.

Yes it is a castle esc. Seems like folks agree sensored doesn’t matter much so maybe I will run it as is. I do have the B Link adapter so I should be able to reverse the motor pretty easily.

i have an xlx2 with 800kv castle, i run a sensor wire and have the wires matching from esc to motor, A-A, B-B, C-C. upon calibrating the throttle, squeeze gave me brake which i didn't like, so i just reversed the throttle control on the remote, and it works fine.

my understanding is that having the sensor allows the car to brake/fully stop without going on reverse violently. If i want to reverse, then i'll have the car fully stop first then, quickly go to neural then reverse.

I ran it first without the sensor wire and it felt too sensitive for me, tapping the brake while driving forward makes the motor want to reverse immediately, as if it didn't want to go to neutral and stop, just forward and reverse. I'm not used to rc cars going in reverse as I mostly run nitros and gas and used to slamming the brakes.

I thought about manually programming the esc but since i got the car to run the way i want, then i off the programming effort. I hope that helps.

You don't need the sensors for that. I have a castle set up in my savage first push brakes a second push reverses. There are a few ways to set it up, but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it, been too long.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks