NEW Losi 1/5 scale Desert Buggy XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Chimera is the better value, but the Losi DB XL should have more universal support worldwide. The 4 mm. chassis might be adequate with the lighter weight of this buggy vs. the 5ive T and its 5mm chassis. Plastic tabbed shock caps annoy me. I have never had good luck with them on any scale model, the lower end spectrum radios have been good at our local hobby shop and track, no failures to speak of. Older spekky's. continue to plague the brand. I'm still gettin' by with a cheapy flysky GTb3. Only thing I ever did was break the reverse/brake portion of the trigger, it has been flawless on all of my models including the 5ive T, I trust it....

Ordered one for a customer and and race buddy, he wants me to unbox it and break it in, should be fun, interested to see how it compares to my 5ive in performance

Has anyone seen one run yet? I was in love when I saw this and excited when I saw the Losi name plate but after seeing some people claiming it is a rebrand I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I watched the Losi interview with the "head designer" and for being a RC nerd that built this I'm not convinced. I mean nerd in the most respectful way of course.

I have one and have run mine. I'm just past brakin and the motor has really started to wake up. The stock air filter is way to restrictive. I had to lean the motor way out to get it too run right. Keep an eye on the rear gas tank mount. Mine either rattled off or was missing and my gas tank was rubbing on the pinion. But so far I really like it. My last R/C was Savage Flux on lipos so I'm coming from a world of speed and I'm not disappointed with the 23cc motor.

Sorry for the short vids and poor quality. I shot these vids driving with one hand (steering with my thumb) and recording the video in my other hand. Just in time for 10 inches of snow to come tomorrow.

[ame]http://youtu.be/WIWdMG0X_jQ[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/C_EQkRzFywE[/ame]

Last edited:
I have one and have run mine. I'm just past brakin and the motor has really started to wake up. The stock air filter is way to restrictive. I had to lean the motor way out to get it too run right. Keep an eye on the rear gas tank mount. Mine either rattled off or was missing and my gas tank was rubbing on the pinion. But so far I really like it. My last R/C was Savage Flux on lipos so I'm coming from a world of speed and I'm not disappointed with the 23cc motor.

Sorry for the short vids and poor quality. I shot these vids driving with one hand (steering with my thumb) and recording the video in my other hand. Just in time for 10 inches of snow to come tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/WIWdMG0X_jQ

http://youtu.be/C_EQkRzFywE

Man that looks sweeeet!! Bummer about the snow, 10 inches is just a little too much for these. What do you think of the overall quality? Have you had to replace anything or noticed anything wearing abnormally fast? It looks like it takes off from a stop better for you than the crew at Horizon. Yours looks like it is pretty reasonably powered for the size. The Losi vids made it look kinda like a slug on the start. I think this may just be my first 1/5.

Overall quality isn't bad. Definately look the whole truck over. The way they mount the gas tank is ok, but I lost a rear screw and the tank was rubbing on the pinion. It didn't cut through, but I'm glad I caught it. I don't know if this was after running or if it came that way. Secondly, the stock air filter is way too restrictive. Both in foam density and oil. First off remove the excess oil. But to counter the restrictiveness of the filter, you have to lean the high speed needle out quite a bit. I think this truck gets up and moves. As soon as a silenced pipe is available I will run. Simply because I can't leave well enough alone. I was looking at the Redcat Chimera, but the Losi to me just looks that much better and I was willing to bet product support would be much more robust. Overall, I don't regret my decision at all. I'm very happy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JNLF0kUBs54
Here's some video of mine. Very happy with performance and durability so far

That's a killer bash spot! It looks like it jumps pretty easy and it looked like it was fairly controllable in the air. Did you break or tweak anything? These do look cool as all get out in the air. I'm debating between this or a Baja SS in the next couple months but I think that's another thread.:)

The clutch held up just fine, the only thing I broke was a plastic rod end that connects the sway bar to the arm. I ran the crap out of it for a good two hours and took a lot of crashes and just kept goin. Couldn't be happier with a bone stock rig.

I got my issue of RC Driver yesterday and they did a pretty good review of the DBXL. The author noted it was underpowered but felt pretty good on the top end. How have they been holding up for you folks lucky enough to have one? I'm hopefully shooting for mid to late spring before I get either this or the new Baja SS.

I got my issue of RC Driver yesterday and they did a pretty good review of the DBXL. The author noted it was underpowered but felt pretty good on the top end. How have they been holding up for you folks lucky enough to have one? I'm hopefully shooting for mid to late spring before I get either this or the new Baja SS.

I haven't had a chance to read the article but I agree that it's underpowered. It does seem to wake up a little mid to full throttle. I'm going to give the jet pro pipe a run on the stock motor today and see what it does before my motor swap. As far as durability I'm extremely pleased. Still no issues.

http://youtu.be/WjWKEnjmI38

Sorry for the unedited video but this shows some of the hits this thing took yesterday. Pretty durable. Overall I was happy with the jet pro pipe. I was hoping it would help out a bit more with the low end, there was a big improvement in mid to top end. If you check out my buddy's channel from the video you can see some of the hits I've put the buggy thru. I can't say enough how impressed I am. Knocked the fuel tank loose yesterday but really wasn't surprised with the kind of impacts it took.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks