New to me DBXL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enzo3856

So I have been running 2 Baja's since the start of the pandemic...
Finally today found a deal on a DBXL, which looked fairly new... so I now am entering a new chapter in my hobby life:
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 1.46.12 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 1.58.59 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-15 at 2.01.46 PM.jpeg

Since this is my first Losi and first DBXL, not sure what all to look for... I will probably just tighten everything up...

It seems I am the 3rd owner... I don't think either ran it very much since it looks very clean... there a couple head scratchers, like that steel cable holding the pipe on... and I think there is a missing engine bolt?
dbxl-mount.png

Front brake pads look bent somehow...
Motor says Dynamite 23cc, and there is a serial number starting with CY...
Motor starts up and idles smooth
tuned pipe says XCR RCMK
servos are Spektrum SPMS901
missing the battery tray lid
everything looks mega clean... so either they didnt run it or they did a super cleanse before selling...
hardly any roadrash on the chasis, and the shocks don't have much evidence of the springs chafing the red anodizing

overall I am very happy...
I think I will take the same approach as on my Bajas... run it till something breaks and go from there..
If you see anything obvious in the pictures let me know... or any heads up for things to be watching out for.

First, I must say that I am disappointed with all the stuff you have on the fooseball table. Secondly, nice purchase!

Here is the spacer kit. Spacers It looks like you can't get them individually. However, a spacer such as that is one of the easiest things to make with a lathe. If you have a friend with one have it made and you're good to go.

Here's a link to manuals LINKY

The XRC buggies looks to have had an aluminum sleeve and silicon coupler on the pipe. Sleeve and Springs. A silicon coupler and hose clamps will do the trick.

Besides Outwears on everything, I would put a skid plate kit on it. It may not be an issue but for peace of mind, I would want to have the center plate to cover the exposed spur gear.

I hear the suspension on the DBXL is terrible. @Seandonato73 did a thread on his. Not sure if it was a build thread or in the DBXL sub forum. Perhaps he may chime in and provide a link or search for it yourself.

buggy looks mint! Definitely not much run time on it
I would go through the entire thing and make sure the diffs are full and all bolts are tight with locktight
make sure the pins and setscrews on the driveshafts are good and tight, I use heat shrink on the front/rear center to help hold it together
DDM have 29cc big bore kits that work perfect for these for when you want some more power
I would also upgrade the rear engine mount to aluminum and the clutch housing to aluminum
You can also get the pipe spring and coupler from DDM
also make sure you get a proper kill switch for it

Awesome input.. thanks

So, I am going to sell one of my Baja's to cover the cost on this DBXL..
I will probably take my Killer Bee off the Baja... but thinking about a Dynamite kill switch to put back into the Baja... (still debating it). Anyone have issues with the Dynamite?

Also, I noticed I am missing the front chassis brace.
Was looking on eBay and there are some chinese options.
Question: are the eBay Aluminum parts for DBXL as questionable as aluminum parts for the Baja? or are there some brands that are ok?
Also, what is compatible between the DBXL and the 5T... so when I shop on DDM, do I have a lot of options, or do I stick solely to their DBXL section?

Awesome input.. thanks

So, I am going to sell one of my Baja's to cover the cost on this DBXL..
I will probably take my Killer Bee off the Baja... but thinking about a Dynamite kill switch to put back into the Baja... (still debating it). Anyone have issues with the Dynamite?

Also, I noticed I am missing the front chassis brace.
Was looking on eBay and there are some chinese options.
Question: are the eBay Aluminum parts for DBXL as questionable as aluminum parts for the Baja? or are there some brands that are ok?
Also, what is compatible between the DBXL and the 5T... so when I shop on DDM, do I have a lot of options, or do I stick solely to their DBXL section?
The DBXL alloy parts from China are fine, FID, GTB, and AreaRC are all nicely machined, tight tolerances, fit properly, and look great.
Do not buy Rovan alloy and you won't have any problems. I buy from 2013baja on ebay
https://www.ebay.com.au/str/bajamax...max|folenttp:1&_trksid=p3542580.m47492.l74602
Just make sure you don't buy parts for the DBXLe electric version, some parts are different. If they fit both DBXL and DBXLe then you're fine. It's only the parts to do with the centre driveline area really. Hubs/spindles, diff cases, bulkheads, shock towers, fit both

As for DDM, stick solely to the DBXL section. 5iveT parts are completely different

quick help needed...
I am taking this rig apart to get to know it and also to check everything is on the up and up...
Whats the name of this part? I looked on DDM and didnt find it...
IMG_20211219_170943.jpg

This is interesting too:
IMG_20211219_170930.jpg

And my front brakes:
IMG_20211219_171203.jpg

The brakes I was able to hammer flat...
the drive shafts... weird, but I guess it aint going anywhere now...

As I take this rig apart... I think someone either had a bunch of spare parts and built this up to sell... the body is fairly pristine.. the main chasis is very clean... the motor has seen some use... its age does not match the car... theres things that are well used (still great shape) and others that seem super new... so weird...
Was hoping I would not be spending much just to get it going safely

finally figured everything out..
got a new pin for that center dog bone, rebuilt the diffs, put in a kill switch and all back together.
Now just need some good weather to test her out

Yup that would be the one lol that's a great pipe I had it on a g320 and it screamed. Only sold it because I have a jetpro pipe that I absolutley love for the g320.
Brantford here

Lmk if you need anything I've got some spare plastics and other odds and ends for the dbxl
cool..
I got the truck off someone in Guelph. I guess they added the pipe to it... the truck is in mostly in good shape... a couple missing screws here and there but nothing serious...

It is missing the front chassis brace, and the front pieces that secure the differential are split...
Can you let me know what parts you have?

Welcome to the world of modification.

cool..
I got the truck off someone in Guelph. I guess they added the pipe to it... the truck is in mostly in good shape... a couple missing screws here and there but nothing serious...

It is missing the front chassis brace, and the front pieces that secure the differential are split...
Can you let me know what parts you have?
Yup the guy came from Guelph. pm sent

SO I am planning on selling one of my Bajas to finance this DBXL...

So i took my 26cc off the Baja and got it on the DBXL...
I have the outerwears crankcase cover... does anyone else use this? I had some issues getting the motor mount to clear it... basically had to peel it back at the 2 points where the bolts come through... what does everyone else do?

Also... whats up with the fuel grommet? decided I wanted to use my full force fuel line brass fittings... they don't work with the DBXL tank grommet... so i pull the grommet out and the Baja Grommet does not fit... its way too big.
What has everyone else done?
I ended up putting the original grommet and just run new fuel line. But that grommet was a pain to get in!

Also, shout out to @Ron Young . He hooked me up with some spare parts that I needed for this truck and some little extras!

SO I am planning on selling one of my Bajas to finance this DBXL...

So i took my 26cc off the Baja and got it on the DBXL...
I have the outerwears crankcase cover... does anyone else use this? I had some issues getting the motor mount to clear it... basically had to peel it back at the 2 points where the bolts come through... what does everyone else do?

Also... whats up with the fuel grommet? decided I wanted to use my full force fuel line brass fittings... they don't work with the DBXL tank grommet... so i pull the grommet out and the Baja Grommet does not fit... its way too big.
What has everyone else done?
I ended up putting the original grommet and just run new fuel line. But that grommet was a pain to get in!

Also, shout out to @Ron Young . He hooked me up with some spare parts that I needed for this truck and some little extras!
Glad I could help.

Nice find. I just got a used DBXL too, the first gen with Losi decals, not the K&N. Not sure what the difference is aside from the decals. Previous owner stored it dirty and didn't do any maintenance. Looks like most screws have never been touched, which is good coz no stripped heads. Oddly enough mine came with a 32cc CY engine and aftermarket pipe.

I did a complete tear down and rebuilt all 3 diffs. loctite everything and lubed all pins. replaced most bearings.

I suggest replacing the steering post with hot racing and the throttle arm with dgi racing. it will save you a ton of headache. learned this from my mtxl which shares platform with dbxl. i also replaced the steering linkage from the servo to the steering post with the ones from MTXl, it's adjustable and beefier than the stock DBXL.

i used dynamite kill switch on my mtxl and no problem installing and using it. will use the same on the dbxl.

My battery cover was missing too probably because the stock battery is too small and previous owners replaced the battery with a bigger one that doesn't fit in the tray. i'm using the same lipo battery from the MTXL and it barely fits,
still no cover.

Enjoy your car!

Nice find. I just got a used DBXL too, the first gen with Losi decals, not the K&N. Not sure what the difference is aside from the decals. Previous owner stored it dirty and didn't do any maintenance. Looks like most screws have never been touched, which is good coz no stripped heads. Oddly enough mine came with a 32cc CY engine and aftermarket pipe.

I did a complete tear down and rebuilt all 3 diffs. loctite everything and lubed all pins. replaced most bearings.

I suggest replacing the steering post with hot racing and the throttle arm with dgi racing. it will save you a ton of headache. learned this from my mtxl which shares platform with dbxl. i also replaced the steering linkage from the servo to the steering post with the ones from MTXl, it's adjustable and beefier than the stock DBXL.

i used dynamite kill switch on my mtxl and no problem installing and using it. will use the same on the dbxl.

My battery cover was missing too probably because the stock battery is too small and previous owners replaced the battery with a bigger one that doesn't fit in the tray. i'm using the same lipo battery from the MTXL and it barely fits,
still no cover.

Enjoy your car!
Nice welcome to the club lol. Killer RC makes a taller radio and battery box lids for the dbxl.
https://www.killerrc.com/collections/batteries/products/losi-dbxl-box-lid-kit

I ordered up a GTB clutch carrier and bottom motor mount...
I got it all bolted onto the motor, but now having a couple issues... the mounting holes don't line up on the chassis.. o_O

Distance between front and back is too small, by a mm or 2 maybe (my eyeballing isnt great)

anyone have issues with this before?

Also my chassis side mounting screws are too long now so I cant secure the motor on the clutch side...

IMG_20220126_130654.jpg
IMG_20220126_143342.jpg
IMG_20220126_161848.jpg
IMG_20220126_163509.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks