New to R/C hobby. Just purchased a 5T 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a second job! 🤣

install a kill switch before you even think of running it no matter how tempted you are. 💩 goes south real quick and you are assuming a big liability running these rigs due to their size and weight. I’ve had a few scares and witnessed my buddy have a runaway.

Get to know your rig, better you understand it easier it is to trouble shoot and repair. Don’t be afraid of disassembly and reassembly. Guys on here are a wealth of info if you need it!

Premium exhaust upgrade is probably the biggest single performance upgrade you can make.

Have fun, it’s addicting!

Formally introduce yourself 👉🏻 https://www.largescaleforums.com/forums/introduce-yourself/

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase. You've bought THE best 1/5 rig around (y)

The 5iveT is a tough rig, the only upgrade it needs is a tuned pipe (VictoryRC, Bartolone, Olimat)
A killswitch is absolutely essential, as mentioned, don't run it without it

Also get outerwares for the pullstart, crankcase, and air filter. Then your good to go

Slightly stiffer springs for the rear would be a good idea also. The stockers are very soft and setup for racing

Personally i would ditch the included Spektrum receiver and buy a Futaba radio system. The 4pm is an excellent mid range radio

I also suggest to not be tempted to buy Rovan/30n/KM stock parts or supposed "upgrades" they're actually downgrades
Stick with genuine Losi stock parts, or brand name upgrades. "Buy once cry once" is the name of the game

Above all enjoy :cool:

I always buy screw kits with my purchases just a recommendation. Mostly stay away from aforementioned companies above. Not 100% of their upgrades are bad but the vast majority is at least for the Baja platform and they aren't much cheaper then the real thing you can get at DDM. Learn how to properly setup your suspension. I feel like the death of dog bones and drivetrain issues are linked to how your suspension is setup and what diff gear weights used. Lastly learn how to properly start the gas engine. It can be a pain in the ass constantly flooding it. It's super simple when you just do a small bit of research.

Oh and the Futaba system is good however if you decide you want to go a bit cheaper then take a peek at the radio link 4gs. It trades blows with systems 4 times it's price it just feels a bit cheap in the hand. I personally know some ppl who have rcmax builds who use radio link systems.

IMO buy a killswitch and then run it as is. Get a feel for it and decide what you want to do. The upgrades are limitless.

I would run it come back to the forum and say “hey guys truck is kickass but I’d really like more torque. What should I do?” the guys here will give you direction from there. This way your spending your money in a targeted way instead of a spray and pray approach.

good luck and hopefully you have or can find guys to run with👍

I have been considering this model for some time. I recently got into the 1/5 scale myself. At the moment I am running the lower cost options (clones): Exceed, Rovan and King Motor. Looking at the Losi 5IVE-T or Vekta.5 LSE as my next vehicle. I was uncertain what to get when I opted into the 1/5 scale since my 1/10 nitro on-road cars have gone into retirement as there is no practical place to run them after moving to NC.

Places like DDM and Detroit Performance RC (in USA) are good places to look for upgrades when that time comes. Better quality parts and it is usually specified what raw materials the components are made. There are other places in the UK such as Taylor RC, Innovative RC, and others. Keep in mind things will break when you hit a wall or large object such as a tree, post, curb. The more mass you add to the vehicle, the more damage you get along with it on impact.

What others have stated, a remote kill switch is your friend as it will shut the engine off due to signal loss, low receiver voltage or erratic glitches. Best to have a 3 or 4 channel receiver so you can use that extra channel as a remote engine kill switch since some runaways occur due to other issues like something jammed into the throttle linkage that may prevent the servo from operating.

Another important mod from the start would be an outerwears cover for the underside of the motor, one for the pull start and one for the air filter. Best investment at reasonable cost. I just ordered a few sets to install on my current rigs as I am tired of having to remove the engine cowl in order to remove the compacted grass that tends to pack in around the magneto coil. Doubt it will catch fire but will cause the engine to overheat if you block off the air flow on the motor head. This will also prevent large objects from damaging the flywheel blades. Note: you may need to apply heat to the screws that secure the motor to the chassis as you will have to remove the motor to install the outerwears cover on the bottom of the motor. The fasteners should have been secured with thread lock so heat may be essential in order to break free the screw to prevent stripping out the hex socket. Perhaps this can be left for later on. Having a source of compressed air will help clean out grass clippings and other objects that get sucked into the flywheel cover.

Last thing, go through the proper break in process on the engine. It should be in the owner's manual how to do it. Pay attention to proper oil/fuel mixture.

As others have mentioned killswitch is the first thing to add. Just run it in stock form and get used to it. I will suggest staying away from crowded parking lots or streets if it’s your first time. I personally don’t run in parks or parking lots. Too much liability. These things will do serious damage to vehicles, mailboxes, people etc if. Use the manual for a lot of information as well as all info found on this forum. It helped me out a ton when I first got my 5T. The rest you will figure out as you go along. Best of luck to you! The 5T is a great platform 👍

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks