new to the fg 1/5th ic hobby

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertinexjrs

hello im new to the 1/5th scale ic engine cars and would like some kind of help and advice as ive just recently bought a fg beetle with both 23 and 26cc engines as well as spares and full hi tech hi torqu servos and 2 shells for a good price. i would like to know what kind of tune ups should i do straight away as its already got a metal spur gear the better engine and servos as well as a fail safe. when i got it it didnt run and upon searching the net i found out that the pull start can get clogged up so i followed the advice on how to clean it and refitted it but i think the chords too short as i haven't been able to turn it over what points should i look at that would stop the car from starting as it hasnt been ran for a couple of years altho it has always been kept dry of any fuel after running and well maintained and also what could i use as a replacement chord for a cheap fix also is there any clubs or meets in and around tyne and wear many thanks james

If its been stood for a couple of years.. A carb clean is definitely on the agenda.. You COULD go for a tuned exhaust but its not really an essential upgrade. Once you have it running, you could install the 8000rpm Red clutch spring to give a better take off and slightly bigger top speed. A metal pinion gear would probably be one of the first things to look at though.
Make sure you choose a good ratio to what your using it for though, general bashing, racing etc.
H.

I have a Marder myself,it was a piece of junk when I got it used.Its stock now with the only upgrade being an aluminum engine mount.Before spending money on upgrading it I would first get it running and see how you like it.I actually removed the tuned pipe because it had too much power for the track I run it on.As for not getting it to turn over you would have to explain more,is the engine locked up or the pull starter broke? The pull start has been the one part that seems to break the most so I keep an extra one or two in my parts box.The Marder is now my favorite rc buggy and I have owned and do own a lot of them.

i managed to get stainless gears all four of em for £30 managed to fix the pullstart and get it started don't think ill bother with the tunes pipe just yet seems like quite a lot of money for quite a lot of noise cheers for the advice

i managed to get stainless gears all four of em for £30 managed to fix the pullstart and get it started don't think ill bother with the tunes pipe just yet seems like quite a lot of money for quite a lot of noise cheers for the advice

A tuned pipe will wake up the engine big time and is probably the best performance upgrade. Some are noisy but not all.

I use 2000wt FG shock oil all round. You can use 3000wt up front to stiffen the damping but I find 2000wt fine for bashing on bumpy fields and its a good starting point.

There are a few build threads on here which may be useful to you. Here are a couple of mine.......
https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=15545&highlight=marder
https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=12586&highlight=marder

Does anyone know anything about the RTR Sportsline 4WD-530 Audi A4 DTM. thinking about buying one have not seen many reviews
................Here is a review of a Sportline 4wd FG. Click on link
And this link too.
Another link from a different view point of the car

Last edited by a moderator:
A set of steel gears, i use blackbone gears on all 5 of my FG cars, they have flats where they fit onto the shafts. Also alloy engine mounts are a good replacement for the standard ones. I have not heard of any clubs or meets just find a bit waste ground and have fun.

you might also want to fit a remote kill switch, i use killer bees which i get from free prawn racing. You will need a spare channel on your receiver but these are worth there weight in gold.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks