newbie advice !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgbudd

Hi all, I have just got a stock fg marder and am running in etc, can you offer any advice in terms of routine maintenance, lubrication required etc... Also what do I need to make it sand friendly - i have a pre filter for the air filter and thats it ! Any advice greatly appreciated....

PS... these things rock ! cant belive how much fun they are, I have sand dunes close by and its fantastic. Blows 1/8 out the water :)

I would get shock socks, outerwares filter cover and pull start cover. You will need a full strip down clean after every run & spray anything metal with WD40 or spray grease to stop it rusting.

clean it give all nuts and screw the once over everytime you have taken her out
Dwarfy said spray WD40 on all metal parts that's a most but what ever you do try not to get it on the plastic as it will weaken it

clean it give all nuts and screw the once over everytime you have taken her out
Dwarfy said spray WD40 on all metal parts that's a most but what ever you do try not to get it on the plastic as it will weaken it

I didnt know that mate. Why does it weaken plastic?

I didnt know that mate. Why does it weaken plastic?

WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.
J.
Oh. WD40 stands for 'water displacement' and the 40 was the amount of times it was attempted befor they perfected it. It was invented in 1953!nearly as old as Jacko:clown::clown:
J.

WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.
J.
Oh. WD40 stands for 'water displacement' and the 40 was the amount of times it was attempted befor they perfected it. It was invented in 1953!nearly as old as Jacko:clown::clown:
J.

Yeah I got the article somewhere in an old car mag! So are we saying its ok on my black anodised aluminium plastic wishbones then? :clown:

I use wd40 in auto detailing. good for tar in carpets and cleaning gum too. the can bottom is a good scraper. it's a better cleaner than a lubricant. as a lube I use liquid wrench

I'm speaking from expierence with my cars i always used WD40 to clean them, but when i was cleaning they seamed to have more flex in the plastic parts,
I think with the long use of the WD40 it seeps into the plastic,you could say its like your skin things do get threw with out you noticing it and plastic is the same so i don't use that any more since then i have not had that problem anymore.

I'd have to believe there is some truth to that Lee. I raced slot cars for a long time. we used oil to soften the tires. there was a burnout section of track. you oiled the tires and did the burnouts there and after a while the rubber tires got softer and softer, they eventually stayed soft...

they don't use it now but wd40 used to use propane as the carrier gas

voo i don't know about using wd40 on plastic arms as i ain't got any cars

with plastic arms :smartass::smartass:

as for running in soft sand dunes put your marder in a big plastic bag

its safer

I use a little petrol or a little meths to get oily deposits off, an oily rag for plastic bits, and a quick squirt of WD40 on marker metal bits.

I figure that the plastic bits shouldn't be OK with petrol because it would be a prety daft material choice otherwise on a gasser!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks