Newbie motor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ddrummer16

Ok guys I think I have a problem with my FS buggy motor, every time I try to accelerate the motor bogs down and dies, Ive tried every possible throttle trim and it just doesn't work

Whats going on?

Thanks

May just be a tuning issue. Have you messed with the needles at all?
Stock setting should be 1 1/2 out High speed (closest to the filter) and 1 1/4 low speed ( closest to the cylinder). Try that first and see if it changes. Most common problem is an air leak caused by a bad gasket or bad crank bearings/seals. You could have also worn the ring out or scored the cylinder.

Good luck

Well me and my dad did adjust the needles the other day and it worked fine for 5 minutes and then it started playing up again

I use WD40 to check for air leaks. Only spray a small shot at a time around any gaskets. When checking for intake manifold leaks make sure you do not spray any in the air filter as this will give you a false test. If you have a air leak when you spray a area it will either idle up or die if you get to much in the air leak.

What engine and how old is it?

Thanks for the info i shall check it out tomorrow

Im not sure what motor is in it, Its a FS buggy if thats any help

Little education here and do not feel bad as we all had to learn. All engines are very similar on how they are made and put together. The top two are Zenoah #1 many use Zen and falling close behind is Chung Yang most just call them CY. There are some others on the market like HY but the Zen and CY are the top two. Most parts will swap one to the other. The name should be on the engine on the bottom of the cylinder on the clutch (power take off side}. Many times it is on the pull starter and some Zen have it on the plastic cooling shroud near the spark plug. Like I said most parts are interchangeable so it could be a mix of both if someone has messed with it.

Then you have basically two major categories 2 bolt most common as they have been out years longer then the 4 bolt that came out much more resonantly. This refers to how many bolts hold the cylinder on. Then there are different displacements most common stock motors 23,26,27 and 29cc. All of them are rounded up to the next highest CC. Like the 29 is really 28.5cc but rounded up to the next highest cc called a 29.

Now the standard modified engines that go up to 30.5cc but we will not get in to that just now. There are bigger engines but are not what I call a standard engines and take mounting kits special pipes, modifications to install and so on.

Zen are fairly hard to tell what size with out taking apart but on a CY be hind the fly wheel on the bottom of the cylinder will have something like 28-34 which means it has a 28mm stroke with a 34mm bore which makes it a 26cc which in reality 25.4cc but like I said they round it up to 26cc. If the engine has been modified the stroke part could be wrong but the bore will stay the same. This will give an idea on most stock engines. Maybe others can add something.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks