next big thing for racers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordraptor1

all i can say is WTH, i don't trust a ds lightened flywheel (im not knockign dark soul just i don't trust a lightened flywheel) but when i saw this i was like WTF. thought some of you may be interested in seeing this lightened and balanced flywheel at least :D :

modbalancedflywheel.jpg

ive seen those before, i wouldnt trust one. first off i don't think it'll provide enough airflow, and 2nd, its cast aluminum, i just wouldnt trust cutting it like that.

i think ill stick to my stocker.

Why do our engines have flywheels?
It's presumably because they're only single cylinder engines, to permit the smoother operation at idle speed, and to even permit them to idle at anything below warp speed.
If you install this, do you have to increase your idle speed just to ensure the engine will run properly - or spend a fortune balancing the engine?

Al.

Why do our engines have flywheels?
It's presumably because they're only single cylinder engines, to permit the smoother operation at idle speed, and to even permit them to idle at anything below warp speed.
If you install this, do you have to increase your idle speed just to ensure the engine will run properly - or spend a fortune balancing the engine?

Al.

I made one of these, and I did take some time to make sure it was fairly close to balanced, but even the stock flywheel is not balanced, so I did not get very meticulous in making sure it was perfectly balanced. The air the flywheel generates is more important for the original use of this type of engine...hand held gas tools. Our Bajas and other large scale vehicles that use this type of engine do not sit stationary, or move slowly...as long as they are in proper working order at least. They move quickly, and the speed they move at helps keep the engine cool. Sure, at idle, the flywheel is helping keep the engine cool, but as long as you have a good tune on your engine, the short period of time spent at idle or sitting still will have little effect on the temp of your engine. There is still quite a bit of air moving around the head with this mod, it is noticeably less, but still plenty of air movement occurs. The rotational weight does help keep the engine running smooth too, while providing the required spark.

Last edited:
Interesting.
I didn't expect the standard item to be a precision item!
You're saying there's more than enough mass to stabilise the engine - fair enough.
I just believe there's always a reason for something.
Can we actually remove apparently 50% without any knock-on deleterious effect?
Al.

there is alot more material gone than the ones darksoul sells LOL. i know racers like to use these but its not good fo a basher, i just thought i would share this seeing as the only other lightened flywheel i know of is teh one from dark soul :D

I have seen alot of bajas up at our track run the darksoul flywheel and not one had any trouble.. Nor did I see much of a differnce in the way they ran...I would save my money and put it towards a new Dogpile wildchild motor!!!

if these were any good they would be on top engines ie; oddified abbate modelsport ect but they all run mostly stock flywheels other than the redrace ignition setups

Do you have any experience on the RedRace ignition option?
I want to install it onto my 'new' Trevor Simpson engine, but several hours of internet indicate it may be difficult, and neither manufacturer have been helpful - RedRace basically said it can't be done!!
Al.

Do you have any experience on the RedRace ignition option?
I want to install it onto my 'new' Trevor Simpson engine, but several hours of internet indicate it may be difficult, and neither manufacturer have been helpful - RedRace basically said it can't be done!!
Al.

When did you get your TS Alan?
J:rolleyes:

TS was the shortcut I showed you of the motor in Ebay.
2 bolt 28.5cc.
RedRace from Pitstop NL.
It appears that the problem is in fitting the mounting pieces. I won't be able to tell until I return.
We have a couple of engineers and lathes, etc., at work.
The odd fiver might work with the Site Manager, as he builds live steam locomotives!!
Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks