Now it is getting serious.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I no when it's getting serious when I start modding the mod changes I've made. LOL. So shortly after I bought my buggy I had picked up1 " Rovan wheel extenders . They aren't bad but they aren't great either had issues with the fitment on the front plus I didn't like the clip attachment . So I ordered DGI 1" Wheel extenders ,not bad at all but yeah here it comes holding the dowel pins in place with a big o-ring is kind of hokie to say the least. So here's the Mod to the mod to the mod. Where Rovan got it really right is they used modified Set screws in the rear extenders to secure the extender to the rear axles.

I bought a package of 5MM X .8 35MM long set screws and had a friend machine the threads off 3/4's of the length of the set screws and turned them down to the correct dia for the through hole in the axle. Then I drilled and tapped one side of the extender to be able to thread the set screw through the extender and axle. A little blue loctite and its all set I also did put the o-ring back on just to keep crap from getting stuck in the end of the set screw.

The reason for this part of the mod was because I happened to look at one of the front extenders and saw that the o-ring had moved enough out of the way that one of the DGI dowel pins was starting to come out. Not good because they don't give you extras . Now I'm happy.

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_175225522.jpg
    IMG_20180822_175225522.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180822_175231323.jpg
    IMG_20180822_175231323.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180822_175257081_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20180822_175257081_BURST001.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 20
Ok dad.
Remove those extenders. They will kill your bearings and hubs.

Sorry I can be a bit of a smart ass :) . I couldn't resist . Do you have proof to back up your recommendation . I'm open to alternitive opinions if they make sense . I've read where it makes the car more stable . And I know it's keeping my rear tires from rubbing the upper ball joint on the rear upper A-arm in the rear . I've also seen the videos of the front wheels flying off because of the c-clip failures. The DGI extenders eliminate that problem . I was actually surprised to see the rub marks on the upper ball joints on the rear of my car . If you know how to cure the rubbing with out the extenders speak up.

I don't want to destroy tires or rims from rubbing on the upper ball joint.

Last edited:
I use the one inch extenders. They do not have C clips. No rubbing at all.

The proof is obvious on the long extenders. You are applying a lot more leverage on the hubs and bearings because the axle is extending the wheel way out beyond the hub with no support. This is a good example for a facebook page. This issue gets discussed often on the 1/5 pages. Lots of info on the long extenders. I have some and used them for a day. You are multiplying the load on the bearings and hubs a lot by placing the load farther out from the hub. To each their own but they are not needed and the gain is very small for the greatly increased wear and tear.

I have a set of 2 inch fronts and 4 inch rears. They are cool but very hard on the hubs and bearings. Would love to have hubs and bearings that could handle them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks