Nutech GT5-R vs. MCD 4X Rally

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strick316

Hey

Need feedback on these two cars.
1.Which is the fastest RTR out the hole and top end?
2.Which car handles the best?
3.Are parts and upgrade hard to find?
4.Can you use other bodies?

I would like the feedback on anything on these cars if you have one or both.

Thanks

Strick316

the nutech is essentially an aluminum knock off of an fg sportsline. upgrades arent really needed with this car, its all aluminum. for suspension tuning you can use fg springs. ive heard the shocks have issues (fg evo shocks would be a good upgrade) and the chassis plate is very flexy and causes the throttle to hang open (with a little work a long wheelbase fg chassis fits, even the evo and other upgrade chassis). long wheelbase bodies fit this car.

i have never seen or heard anything about the mcd, however here is what i can tell you about 2wd vs 4wd. 4wd will be faster out of the hole, however with equal gearing and engines the 2wd should be faster due to less drivetrain drag. 4wd will handle better and be easier to drive, it drives just like a 1/10 scale touring car. ive driven a redcat rally, after 5 minutes i was bored with it. too simple to drive, takes no effort or thought.

i wouldnt call it a lemon, but it does have a couple issues like i stated. out of the box it it needs some work, however with a few hundred bucks over the initial price you have an all aluminum version of an fg sportsline. its on par with an fg comp, but i wouldnt call it a clone of a comp.

if i was in the market for an onroad (i have one already so im not) the only thing stopping me from going with the nutech is not knowing the grade of aluminum the parts are made of. i know the chassis is as stiff as a wet noodle, obviously not 6061 or 7075 aluminum, are the other parts just as weak?

re

hmmmm from what i have seen and heard its pretty much a lemon in alloy clothing lol, i don't know but i would rather buy from a company that actually knows what they are doing, the Chinese models are trying to make a quick buck, not much r&d behind there products, trust me i learnt the hard way, bought a fs racing clone and spent lots of money trying to get it up to spec...

go for MCD, proper support from a company that has a racing background.
Sinan actually tries out his own products, when i asked Chris from Nutech does he test the cars himself...he said no.

MCD has its flaws, but the chinese ones have more.

Last edited by a moderator:
My semi is basically a gt5r. you couldn't be further from the truth calling it a lemon. I am actually ordering another to continue a project. I got the original prototype and the chassis flex was bad but they have since addressed that. the "problem" with the shocks is the fronts are too long and the spring retainers need to be filed out on the bottom so they slide over the shaft. I put everything from mine on an fg comp chassis, changed the servo tray, gas tank, motor mounts and motor side plate to fg style.

ok so the tires are junk but every on road rtr the tires are junk. I got the very first gt5r in canada and still have it. have since ordered more gt5r parts for my other fg's and now ordering another car to put on my medium wb fg chassis.

mcd is 4wd, gt5r is 2wd so different beasts. I prefer 2wd on road myself because it's more real, and more what we all run

It sounds to me that the Nutech is a money pit out the box and over time you will end up with a true FG clone. So why put the money into a Nutech want it be better to go out a get a FG form the start. It looks like I mite be buying a FG or a MCD.

opinions when you've never owned one is just making rumors. I have 3 fg's and 2 nutechs so can speak honestly and from fact. just because you had something bad from another mfg means that mfg was bad, not the whole country.

I ran enough tanks on my gt5r to wear out a set of semi tires (and they last) and all I blew was a spur gear last season. stripped a servo flipping the truck hitting a corner at the end of the straight but nothing else broke.

just about to place an order with vancouver hobbies for more gt5r parts... most for me to finish off an fg build, and some front arms for my buds fg. he sees the quality and value from mine.

one advantage the gt5r has is the price, its around $1200 rtr. an fg sportsline is $1400, and a comp is around $2100. i myself would place the gt5r somewhere in between the sportsline and comp. you get a lot of aluminum with the nutech, however you don't get the performance parts that the comp has (adjustable clutch style diff, better rear control arm design, better chassis).

imo if your looking to build a car with lots of bling, the nutech can be a great start. from what ive seen of them (only one is pipeous's pre-production) out of the box they are not perfect. i think with some careful shopping, one could put a gt5r together with a few choice upgrades far cheaper than an fg comp, and it should be just as capable. if your buying a car you expect to take out of the box and run without any issues and not worry about upgrades, buy a sportsline.

Ok let me say this, I found a brand new in the box Nutech RTR aluminum for $895 shipped. The rep will give me full support and part a dealers cost. Should I get it or a MCD comp RTR for about $1500. FG I have need to find someon in the state that sells and supports.

I am just ordering another gt5r to complete a build. a lot depends what you want to do and who you run against. 4wd on road is so easy to drive. if your buds are running 4wd as well then it's fun but if they are running 2wd, then get a 2wd. we have 3 4wd's and the other 2 I owned and sold locally. at least I have people to run with that way. but we have way more 2wd guys. the price you are getting is really good. I am paying more but getting an f270 4bolt in mine, and want to try out a set of their slicks. the body I am going to sell. the radio is actually decent. killer bee v2's work fine with them and rx's are cheap (as long as you get the blue rx... the orange one that came with my car is not compatible with the blue rx, which is what I got when I ordered extras so had to buy a new radio LOL)... so I've had my fun, and complained my share.

I will take on any car with my nutech semi, and anyone that knows my semi or has driven it know it is a fine ride. I've had guys that are much better drivers than myself take a spin and have said it's the best handling 5th scale they've ever driven (Sharkey knows Steve and Grant... Grant put the semi on it's side traction rolling haha)

there are small things to tweak, add a couple genuine fg things. like take the screw out the the front brakes and replace with fg stub screws. the front shocks are a bit too long, spring retainers need a mod (file)... very minor stuff....

Hey I worked through an original... and Chris from Nutech thinks I am an arsehole. I don't pull punches and called the chassis a noodle. I was choked tbh (and this car I want the soft tires, not those fugly silver things, I have a set here I can't weat out with a 4wd drifting haha).. stock tires are only good for burning rubber or a car stand

I'm not going to knock the MCD at all. never owned one. had a redcat rally, too bad they were discontinued. they drive killer. once I put decent tires on the fg vw it handled good too. need to get it on a track.

in the usa I buy my fg stuf from fg supply mostly, ddm and innovative hobby. lately been ordering a lot from hobbytek. most orders arrive in 4 days to me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks