Nutech Thunderbolt II 1/5th 4wd buggy... Video.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy42

Some of you may remember, I did a review a while back of Smartech's Thunderbolt 1/5th 4wd buggy. The car was very good, but had the same issues we are used to from Smartech, inconsistent distribution and parts supply, hop-ups never materialised, etc.

Well, Nutech have taken the Thunderbolt design (legally, the owner of Ntech used to work with Smartech), improved it considerably, and are committed to doing the whole thing properly (parts and hop ups are already available). US distributors will be announced shortly. Price is expected to be around $899.

The car is phenomenal. Really. It's the easiest to drive and the best handling car I've ever owned, and I haven't even adjusted the suspension geometry or anything like that yet.

The RTR will be supplied with a genuine CY26cc and a 2.4Ghz radio (nothing fancy, just a basic radio, but 2.4Ghz for non-interfering peace of mind). Rollers will also be available from day 1.

This car is box stock apart from the radio I'm using which is a Spektrum DX3, due to the fact that my original sample was supplied with an AM radio. Since the production models will have 2.4Ghz radios, I figured it wasn't exactly cheating. :) I haven't even swapped out shock/diff oils yet, it's on it's 4th tank and could do with better tuning, as the weather suddenly got very hot here. Also, the filter, while doing an admirable job of keeping dust out of the carb, was suffering due to the sheer build up of dust on it, and was choking the engine a bit.

Right, enough babbling, here's the vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nRm4rWK3r4

Last edited:
The drive train is loud. The main drive gears are large, made of hardened steel and flat cut. If you take them off and ding them together they actually make a beautifully clean musical note, like a bell. I've got used to it to be honest, I only realise when other people mention it. No doubt it is 'jingly', but it is not a problem or a flaw, just a side effect of having an all steel 4wd drivetrain out of the box. :)

my thunderbolt 2 gos hard but the only problem i am having is the diffs keep stuffing up . i did the rear diff 2 weeks ago then last week i did the center diff so next must be the front one .. i must say i have changed the 26cc in to a 28cc and put a side pipe on it. and i am very happy with it and it handles great .. i will post some pics when i can find the camera ..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks