O NEILLS race ported kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc2 man

Reading the Rules!
hello all.

ok old topic i know but no harm in refreshing the topic.

i recently got the o neills race ported 27.2cc zenoah big bore stuffed stroker 2mm crank kit.

i just have it run in,love it,
fitted excellent,all the rebuild was perfect,not a bother.

check out general discussions (fg beetle rebuild for more info)

just got it broke in after two tanks of fuel.

anybody else have same kit,if so how are you finding it?
mine is awesome,my fg just wants to have the front end facing the sky now the whole time. MAD

so what needle setting do you use then also.
cheers
dc2 man

yes trip but just ticking over runnin in...

i hadn't a chance much to run it sinse.
check out my rebuild thread and after the engine is fitted you can hear it ticking over and revving slightly.

im afraid thats all i got untill tomorrow now .

hopefully i will get a good one tomorrow if weather allows.

have you any of yours running?
you should use photobucket man way easier..

i know of 3 folks that bought OBro motors here in MI for their baja. hate to say it, but 2 of the 3 had serious issues (on one, the piston was hitting the dome on a brand new motor?) and one lean siezed in 5 minutes. the other seems to run strong for 3 gallons then went south.

2 of the 3 guys are experienced gas runners (one flies gas helis). the unexperienced guy is the one that had 3 gallons on before his went to poo. his was one of the 29cc (35mm bores) and the cylinder plateing was all but gone.

Last edited:
yes trip but just ticking over runnin in...

i hadn't a chance much to run it sinse.
check out my rebuild thread and after the engine is fitted you can hear it ticking over and revving slightly.

im afraid thats all i got untill tomorrow now .

hopefully i will get a good one tomorrow if weather allows.

have you any of yours running?
you should use photobucket man way easier..

Photobucket would be great, but all I have is a lousy ass Web cam... It's not worth the time...

i know of 3 folks that bought OBro motors here in MI for their baja. hate to say it, but 2 of the 3 had serious issues (on one, the piston was hitting the dome on a brand new motor?) and one lean siezed in 5 minutes. the other seems to run strong for 3 gallons then went south.

2 of the 3 guys are experienced gas runners (one flies gas helis). the unexperienced guy is the one that had 3 gallons on before his went to poo. his was one of the 29cc (35mm bores) and the cylinder plateing was all but gone.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry... Remember I have a CY GP290... But I do have the 36mm bore...

well only time will tell now trip.
check out my two new videos on my rebuild thread and see the power,something the cy29 is seriously lacking (i had one) they are good low down but as for top end quite hopeless. my opinion.

i have heard nothing but good about o neills,ask mooman here on the forum,he has ran countless gallons through his(he has two of them) and loves the power and never an issue.

i never saw a cy like yours so cant comment on them.

either way like i said,time will reveal all.

ya alot of folks have good luck with their motors. just bad luck the ones ive personally seen here have had problems. poop happens.

you should be pretty good to go trip.

the GP 290 (36mm bore) has MUCH Better plating than any of the other cy offerings. the reason it has better plating is Go Ped (The GP Part of GP290) started using CY motors over Zenoah motors a few yrs back. the plateing issue on CY motors was SO BAD, that GP told them DO IT BETTER. infact they went as far as to tell them fix it or we re dropping our contract for your motors. (remember 6 yrs ago, GoPed Racing was BIG and World Wide, and GoPed was the largest part of it). so they made some smart changes, and the result is a pretty reliable cylinder and piston setup.

Why cy wont apply the same process to the rest of their cylinders is beyond me. if they did the same plateing process on all thier cylinders, and used better Crank Bearings, they would be a HUGE contender from 23cc to the 30.5s. it would be good for them and the industry.

i took my orig 23cc out of my baja, and put on the DDM Race Ported GP 290 topend, with a copper gasket and new crank bearings at the same time. i put 7 gallons thru the motor. rebuilt it to fresh, (new ring is all it needed, but got a new copper gasket as well), sold it in a baja that got 4 gallons on it from the new owner, and was again sold. last i new it had a gallon thru it. So the GP 290s with a GOOD set of crank bearings should be a solid runner. you just cant run it too lean. the compression on a stock 290 is around 17.5:1 it should be corrected to be around 14:1 for best performance, but that requires a bit of milling on the squish band to adjust it properly. but you ll be good, just do the bearings at the same time using the Fast Eddy bearings that run 13.00 and new 6.00 oil seals. as far as case gasket. yamabond s killer poop.

well thats fair enough but why didnt you lads tell me this before i went away and bought this kit?

ye seem very fast to judge the kit now as i have it fitted in the car..

i constantly looked for advice here on this fourm about o neills kits and the feed back that i got was small,didnt get any negative feedback.

so why the negative feedback now.

seems to me a lot on this forum are all for ddm.......
and not o neills.

well mooman seems like a pretty experienced hobbiest like myself and he has all good to say about o neills.

in fact a lot of guys i know would much prefer the o neills over ddm.

other then seeing them run, and talking to the few local guys i don't have any hands on experience with them. (OBros that is). i see plenty of threads on well running and performing OBros motors, and they sell a good number of them, so something must be ok.

im only relaying my experiences, and since winter been on a large scale brake, so haven't been around much to answer alot of ?s.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks