Opinions on king motor brand servos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyMiata

Just experienced my first runaway on my KM 5B due to the throttle servo being stuck wide open.
Car was brand new and has only just been broken in.
I heard on other forums that king motor servos ( especially the throttle servo) are junk.

Has anyone else here had similar issues with king motor brand servos?

( as a result of the runaway my car spent 4 days at the bottom of a deep river and is pretty wrecked :mad:

Sorry to hear....
I would not run with the km servos.
Grab a good brand name servo with a killswitch and your all set.

just found out that when I purchased the car I bought a years insurance (accidental cover and faulty components) so looks like my car will be up and running again soon.

definitely going to install a KILL SWITCH and Savox brand servos so this never happens again

thanks all for your advice

Yeah same thing as Rovan servos. Happened to me shortly after I got my fist Rovan 5t. Probably shouldn't run near water either. The advice should be well taken as these guys and myself have already been there so you don't have to suffer. Lol
Do the upgrades and enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just experienced my first runaway on my KM 5B due to the throttle servo being stuck wide open.
Car was brand new and has only just been broken in.
I heard on other forums that king motor servos ( especially the throttle servo) are junk.

Has anyone else here had similar issues with king motor brand servos?

( as a result of the runaway my car spent 4 days at the bottom of a deep river and is pretty wrecked :mad:

Exactly the same thing happened to me, I brought it up with Dan from King Motor / Rovan and he looked the other way, to the point of banning me from never buying from them again. Runaway)1.jpg
Runaway)2.jpg
https://www.largescaleforums.com/threads/king-motor-baja-30-5cc-ksrc-001-rtr.21591/

Post #4 of the link provided.

** If I were you open a claim with PayPal, this way he can see its not only one or two, but many kits are coming with defective throttle servos. Of course its win win for the company. Its legally stealing, sell a product, RC goes berserk against a wall or a lake/river like in your case, and one ends up spending 100 dollar more in parts.

Rovan King Motor did not provide a discounted price, nothing, give me that credit card once again. Not everyone goes to the forums to read and then purchase. One of the reasons I opened the thread is to make other people aware of this problem, and maybe Rovan is monitoring this site and take action, or accept complaints are legitimate. I did have a Kill switch but it happened way too quickly, as the wall was way too close. It hit the side of the wall, and flipped losing one of the dog bones, so it stayed revved up for a brief period of time in the grass, else would have gone toward a tree line. Which may explain the premature failure of the top end, not even broken in and revved to the moon during the runaway. I recommend to buy a roller and build it from the ground up.

For throttle, any Hitec, Traxxas (are very good as well). Once you have it, believe it or not, it does work, get clear nail polish, and cover the servo board, apply a thin coating along the edges of the servo lid, and cable run into the servo, apply on the outside where parts are together and bolts before screwing them in. Remove the top of the servo cover, put thick grease around the gear neck.
I have sprayed with water the Baja after a day of mud dirt bashing, and no water intrusion into the servo.

For steering on a budget,

http://www.rovanrc.com/lt-4wd-truck/lt-slt-rs-2050d-50kg-digital-steering-servo/ RS-2050D
Its a beast of a servo for the price. Its solid metal, also did the same thing of the nail polish to all internals and edges. I bought the bottle at Dollar Tree, find the one with thinnest viscosity, so to apply a heavy amount between the electronic components (the more layers and letting it dry, the better)

IMG_20170129_194510.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks