Overhaul

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleguy301

I got my first 1/5 scale truck this spring and had a blast with it. I ran about gallons of fuel though it and boy it brought a smile to my face every time I fired it up.

This winter I was going to do some mods to it. Such as

after market pipe,,,I would like low end and mid range
Clutch work,,,,,,another post
wheelie bar,,,,see pipe,,I also like supers wheelie bar,,alittle extra bling
brakes,,,,,I don't know much about these,,,what should I be looking for and I was looking not to break the bank but get good ones. What works with certain servos and such.

maybe alloy engine mounts and/or alloy upper rear arms, if my bank (wife) allows it.

I was looking to spend 500$ dollars in my upgrades. I know it might not be enough but you have to start somewhere.

Should I be looking for something else, and what are anyones ideas.

Last edited:
There are PLENTY of posts and indeed threads on this subject.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT are the alloy engine mounts - more a necessity than option.
Brakes - I'm on front hydros from KPD and 18kg of MT stops from full speed nearly in a somersault! Well set-up cable brakes are fine.
If you like hydro brakes, get someone who knows to advise you - I got my fingers burnt initially as the calipers were incompatible with the alloy hubs I have.
Diff - I have a viscous one, but it spins out too easily. Take time to read other threads on +/- on different diffs. If you've a plastic case, at least get the alloy sheath for it immediately if you're not going to change the diff.
Servos - how are they? Big torque Hitecs or Multiplex Rhinos are the way to go for steering, Savox 1256TG for throttle/brake (not one has ever failed me). .....
Radio tray / servo mount. This you can reinforce with extra mounting posts, else go for an alloy or carbon fibre one. The plastic one flexes a lot as you brake.
Up to you if you keep the plastic arms / hubs or you go alloy. Mine is all alloy but Sperera (I think) has kept his plastic with no problems at all - very tough and plastic flexes where alloy bends, in a big impact.
Pipes. I've a DDM high end Dominator which DDM recommended, as it had similar / same torque low down and gives the top end power - BUT ITS LOUD, and there are other tuned pipes nearly as efficient that are quieter.

A lot of the alloy hopups you can locate on Ebay. Most are quite good, some are stuffed, so its a bit of pot luck.

Have fun anyway.
Al.

i would get the alloy engine mounts and alloy diff first they will last more or less forever and save you hassle in the long run and a must before adding more power via a tuned pipe brakes you have loads of choices cable fronts work out about the cheapest i run a hydro layshaft brake from tps with cable fronts great stoping power and a savox does them both so no need for a extra servo metal gears are also worth looking into if you haven't allready these i think are the must have upgrades that will save you downtime theres tons of upgrades out there i built my whole car from ebay to its current full alloy spec its very reliable now and strong i would also invest in a 3rd channel killswitch of some sort to protect you investment as one of these trucks let loose in a runaway is dangerous i had mine runaway once it cost me bigtime in repair and damage caused to vehicle it hit flat out when you start changing to alloy here and there make sure you locktite all screws

A 2.4ghz radio is a must if you don't already have 1. As said, FG plastics are very durable so ally is not essential unless you want the bling look :cool: don't forget adding ally adds weight so you need a slight power increase just to overcome this and maintain the performance you have now!!

I'd also add the alloy spur carrier is a must have as the plastic one strips and melts. I run front cable brakes on 3 of mine. works fine. Lots of pipe choices. I am a big jet pro fan. the lifetime warranty is the biggest selling point to me (just had a broken pipe fixed myself from a crash)

i highly recomend the victory pipe one of the best fitting pipes ive ever had strong looks mental wheres it gets hot changes colour its a two peice design and then theres the sound just like a moto x bike some people don't like the raw finish but each to there own i think some pipes just look to blingy and cheap plus once its been bashed got the odd dent and scratched look even worse

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks