Paint By Ian

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyeayen

Well after introducing myself to the forum I thought I better have a proper thread for my paintwork just to keep it all together. These first 2 posts will have everything of note I've done to date in but then it will slow down to a trickle of good shells every so often as they're completed.

This was an 8th shell designed purposely simple for advertising photographs, the colours were also kept to straight colour, no metallics or pearls to through the photo's off.
JohnBennett_1web.jpg

10th scale short course truck, these bodies are huge, not quite 5th scale but still huge. This was for a local shop to show off my talents. I copied all the grill and lights and painted every part on so this is purely paint, no decals, just paint.
SimonCrabbSCT_web.jpg
The rear had chrome roll bars with carbon fibre detailing ( all paint ).
DESC410R_Rear34_web.jpg
Better shot of the rear showing the carbon fibre and also the chrome fan housings and the fans painted in behind them.
DESC410R_TopRear_web.jpg

8th Rally Cross shell, everyone does carbon fibre ( see above :laugh: ) and I wanted to put something else in the dark area so I did the circuitry, took me ages and it's better in real life.
Tinny_1_web.jpg

This customer was into his motorbikes and wanted his crash helmet translated onto his body shell.
RichRoberts_1_web.jpg

Another 8th shell, the driver want it to look "more professional" so I did a very bold clear design that allowed room for sponsor decals. They were all painted on so he didn't have to worry about anything coming off.
MarkThomasAgama1_web.jpg

Tiny little tenth buggy shell, I was just told, "Nothing tacky like flames or slime, and red white and blue..." Quite a loose brief so I took the chaps initials ( MT ) and made them into a graphic so the red shape coming over the roof and going down the sides is an M and the Blue shape on the front is a T. Took him a week to spot it and I'm not sure he would if I hadn't pointed it out ?
MarkTownsend_Web.jpg

Another 10th shell, I was just told to be inspired by Alonso's helmet design and the colours he used.
TommyTansley_Web.jpg

Jon Hazelwood of Nemo Racing and 8th National Championship fame
JonHazelwood_1_web.jpg

This customer wanted slime but it's done so often and just looks tacky I wanted to do something cool ! Came out pretty well.
SimonWilkinson_1web.jpg

This is what happens when people say to me "I really don't mind, do whatever you like"
AndyScothern410_web.jpg

Another 8th shell, the guy just wanted a lot of pink so it was very clear to see on the track. I put some subtle hexagons into the design to give it some texture.
RichardGroom_XB8_web.jpg

This customer was very very specific about every single element of this design. Personally I think it's too much for a race car, not graphical enough for my liking but as I said the customer wanted it a particular way and was very pleased with the result, so much so he's sent me some more to do the same on.
AlecSpringer2_web.jpg

This is the latest shell I've done, just gone in the post today. It's something I get asked for on a regular basis... Can you paint a shell like a TRON car ??? So taking inspiration from concept art and also film stills I came up with this. Getting the "glow" to look effective was difficult and I wanted to put some sort of grid like pattern into the background but when I did that with the masking it looked far too busy so this is how it ended up.

DaveGreen_TronInspired_Web.jpg

These aren't quite as special as my normal sort of work but I'm very happy how the simplistic design has worked, they look really good in day light, the camera hasn't really captured the colours. I really enjoy doing this race paint type stuff too so hopefully I'll get some more of it and it will work well on the bigger 5th scale buggy shells.

AllanBridgeman_Both_web.jpg

maybe you should consider setting up a page,just saying it's better advertising and only takes a minute to register,it's free and allows people like me to view all your work faster.just saying cause people tend to be on FB more these days than forums.

I appreciate what you're saying but I can't keep up with how much work I have coming in at the minute so for now I'll just stick to the forums thanks.

Cheers dude.

I'm just working on a beetle shell so a 5th scale paint job is on it's way, keeping watching out for it real soon.

Back