painting 2nd hand shell ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris18

guys

just bought a used Leopard shell not really liking the colour but it was a good price

can i paint the outside ? what paint would i use ?

chris

That would be my first call to try and remove the paint. have done it to 3 1/10 and 1/12 scale bodies but can take some time if it is thick paint. I also found the cheaper dot 4 worked better than the more expensive stuff. in fact one type barely did anything whereas the cheaper workrd like stripper. It does leave the shell misty and blotchy in places. there are a few dedicated products available to do this but are expensive and slow. If you give up the bodies can be painted on the outside, they will scratch easier but of course can more easily be repainted after a light sanding down. here are two examples
DSCF3678.jpg matt black auto paint (halfords)all over
and black ploycarbonate on outside
DSCF3669.jpg

Justin

Great job, but damn, that's a lot of work!
I'm too impatient for that!!

I can understand if it's a shell you cannot find anymore, and certainly with 1/5 shell prices.
Smaller scales, I would probably just get a new shell to be honest!!
Al.

right

just a little update guys on my 2nd hand shell

after all i decided it was way to much hassel getting the paint off the inside so decided to paint the outside instead so started prep the shell funny thing it after putting some degreaser on the shell to clean.. parts of the paint started to flake but i still went with the outside

1st thing i had to make the shell fit as i bought this 2nd hand! back was easy but front was a little tricky it being 2nd hand and from non Fg owner..anyway i made something up to fit and it works well :)

i used some fine sand paper to rub down washed and dryed sprayed a thin coat of plastic primer and waited to dry after i used some good old fashion car spray in matt black and painted the end result is pretty good just need to see how long it will last now lol

pics below with show you a kind of process i took

IMAG0278.gif

IMAG0279.gif

IMAG0280.gif

IMAG0283.gif

IMAG0286.gif

IMAG0287.gif

IMAG0289.gif

IMAG0291.gif

IMAG0292.gif

IMAG0293.gif

IMAG0294.gif

regards
Chris:cup-1:

oh and ordered a few stickers will update soon

Last edited:
your right that was fuggly. I know some people that use the truck bed-liner aerosol spray on the outside in situations like this. It's a little more durable then regular lexan paint.

Almost nothing worst in the RC world to the environment then removing paint from a body. Not to mention your health. Just replace the dang thing.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks