Pics of your favorite builds and engines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No you wont see huge gains. Methonal is not nitro. Actually you'll loose a bit of power running anything alcohol. And as we know nitro engines don't last long. My old man raced offshore unlimited 1/4 mile. 2.3l murc, ran a alchohol nitro, with 2 stage nitrous. The engine was good for about 4 runs. Then it was time to change out pistons. After about half a season we were swapping the power head out for a fresh engine. Stock hp was around 225, it would routinely dyno 500+ with out the nitrous. A candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long. The only reason we ran alchohol was to help keep the engine cool. It made much more power on race gas just wouldt last 2 run. Boat engines don't have the greatest cooling systems

So
No you wont see huge gains. Methonal is not nitro. Actually you'll loose a bit of power running anything alcohol. And as we know nitro engines don't last long. My old man raced offshore unlimited 1/4 mile. 2.3l murc, ran a alchohol nitro, with 2 stage nitrous. The engine was good for about 4 runs. Then it was time to change out pistons. After about half a season we were swapping the power head out for a fresh engine. Stock hp was around 225, it would routinely dyno 500+ with out the nitrous. A candle that burns twice as bright lasts half as long. The only reason we ran alchohol was to help keep the engine cool. It made much more power on race gas just wouldt last 2 run. Boat engines don't have the greatest cooling systems
So the OBR methanol engines are hooey? They claim 30% hp gains in one of their yt vids. I was interested in them but not so much anymore.

Any alcohol system has the potential to make great hp, typically it take about 30% more alchohol to get the same power as gas. I'm sure with different porting and what not it can/has been done. Just not as easy as swapping out fuels. If your talking nitro fuel, which is methanol and nitro then yes. It will make more power. As it is a more power dense fuel then straight gas. Like I said before the biggest advantage is the lack of heat issues gas has. Allows you to play with timing and porting a bit more. The alcohol also had a tendency to help "cool" the incoming air fuel mix, giving you a more dense mixture, that's one of the reasons we inject water methanol into our diesel pulling trucks. Help keep everything cooler.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks