Plastic cage on RTR motor necessary ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabidfox50

Given the DBXL already has a robust roll age body, is the engine roll cage really needed? I mean come on, the thing is just in the way when doing work on the rig and just seems overkill. I was going to ditch it but one mount point is integrated into one of the clutch carrier bolts. Seems like the engineers created that aspect on a Friday afternoon.

On my HPI baja b and t every time it would roll over seems the spark plug would break so coming from that I love all the protection on my DBXL. If you don't like it then take it off.

You can buy a spacer or just make one for that post mount you speak of. Roll cage protects your plug so they don't snap. But i have seen a simple cap that goes on the plug made of plastic now on alot of then and your wire pressed over top of the protector. I think its a 3d printed part on thingivers. ABS7 PLASTIC* Which gets rid of the need for all that plastic crap in your way. Not full proof but what is when 45 pound of metal and plastic hit the only tree for miles in 50 acre field? I actually did a 3d printed one for almost all my 1 5 scales now rolled few no plug snaps. I also like it now that i can hold motor with one hand firm and start it . I always felt off trying hold it when started any of them. So another pluss!

Last edited:
Thats gotta be some roll over, on a 5T with the extra beefy spark protector plus the shell...?!
Never noticed, did a search on the dbxl cage and I see what you mean. Thats a lot of plastic around that engine.

The funny part is even with all that plastic cage crap and the metal plate over the plug they can still break a plug. Yes to break a plug with shell on is crazy mad train wreck type roll over lol. Even with cage off. Cage if you all owned one also chews up your plug wire after 20 hours ish of run time. Rubbing on it in front. Telling ya ditch the cage 3d print plug guard or just buy a pvc pipe put you plug wire on and mark it. Drill a hole about size of the wire highet little bigger in one side cut pipe right down center of the whole. Nice way to fix plug worries. If you broke a damn plug to start with lol pretty sure at that point you have few 100$ in parts on way to fix other 20 parts blown across 50 foot area where rolled it lol i have no cage on mine for 2 years now. Plug is only thing didnt break on it lol
Hey just FYI! Did you know DBXL STILL WORKS AFTER FALLING OFF 25 FOOT TALL CLIFF INTO 30 FOOT DEEP POND LOLOLOL kid you not day i wrote that post throttle servo failsafe failed and shorted out my rx ran 500 yards to its death. After 3 hours of fishing in rock pit next day with 5 friends, that filled in with water rock pit let us drag it home! Blew out the motor, arsh load wd40 shot in motor nornal fuel full pulls lots smoke and still runs amazing! Was very suprised none of the servos or switches failed!

I wound up removing the cage and cutting it from that anchor point at the clutch carrier. No worries. The PVC pipe idea sounds killer. I will try it, thanks.

Yeah 3/4 pvc pipe works great. I use like a 3/8 drill bit make a hole one side. Cut the pipe right in half in dead center of the hole. Then from bottom of the plug wire to the top of the motors head. Cut it to the correct hight. Pvc cutter tool works great for this. My account is so new i don't think they let me post photos lol or would show ya few 1/4 and 1/5 scales with how did it exacrly. I have few 3d printed abs ones also that have nice bling effect since match my redcat and baja motor shrouds. If you have enough skill lol you buy a pvc cap as well drill a hole in the center with 3/8 drill also but cut a slot in the cap to the part that is open and you have 100% protected plug. If you broke plug even with support of pvc pipe around it like i said lol you got more problems theen just plug lol just FYI, don't use pec lines or plactis furniture pipe. It is made of pla snd will melt in sun plretty much lol though looked neat as it incrested plug of my freinds custom build like candle. Pvc and black abs pipe are rated higher melting points then the injected nylon shroud all these come with anyhow.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks