Poor man's shock covers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csp1971

Thanks to Carnivore over in HBF for this....I used some bicycle inner tube for shock covers. They work excellent. For 3 bucks for a tube from Walmart these things really do the trick. So if you are sick of your shocks getting filthy and don't want to shell out 30 bucks for shockwears, the inner tube works pretty good. :)

Here we go:

I bought 18" Bell brand universal inner tube.

Fits the the following 18" tires: x1.75, x1.90, x1.95, x2.00, x2.10, x2.125

It just says universal fit on the side. The tube itself says 18x1.75/2.125. See pic. They only had a few sizes available at the walmart supercenter I went to. They were all Bell brand an they were all the same above except for a 20" and a couple other inches larger but all had x1.75 and above on the box (clickmelinky box looked exactly like this one except it had 18" in yellow). In my opinion, for 3 bucks to try it out and about a half hour to fit them on, you can't go wrong. They are a tiny bit snug which may keep the spring from compressing as freely as they would if they were without, but running it on rough terrain, I couldn't tell a difference.

bajashocktube.jpg

Thanks! Could of used that last week when my son and I went out beating and jumping. Rain hasn't stopped here in a while so everything everywhere is wet or muddy.:) Believe it or not we cleaned them off some before bringing them in.

Attachments

• DSC03380.jpg
    DSC03380.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC03384.jpg
    DSC03384.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 43
If I brought those in my house that dirty, my wife would have killed me! :lol:

I think you'll like them for a cheap upgrade. I'm going to try them on my Firehammer MT shocks and see how those end up.

There is also a place called badhorsie.com that has shock covers for FG's that are relatively inexpensive (none for the Baja though). Not sure how good they are though.

another thing you can use is horse wrap. vet supply places sell it. it works and is breathable. it can be used as a disposable prefilter for your air filter as well.

Went out and bought a tube. Fit well. I listened to what you said about fitting snug so I over inflated the tube overnight and it stretched out just enough to be a great fit, not too snug not too loose. I'm trying to tuck the tube into the bottom of the spring and tie the top, but notice that others have tied them at the bottom also. Hmmmm, which to do?
Noticed the ones you have posted above tuck into the spring.

I tied the tube on the top and the bottom with a zip tie. I was too lazy to try and tuck it. I love the tubes though. They resist everything! I probably won't put the horsie ones on until spring or when I get bored!

I don't see why not. The tube is around 11/8 to 11/4 ID and the FG shock is around 1" OD so a little sloppy but might work? Worth the $2-$3.00 to try though.:)

Thanks! Could of used that last week when my son and I went out beating and jumping. Rain hasn't stopped here in a while so everything everywhere is wet or muddy.:) Believe it or not we cleaned them off some before bringing them in.

OMG bigger, you couldn't get any more mud on that thing if you tried LOL.

Oh ya I can -

Attachments

• Da83399[1].jpg
    Da83399[1].jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Wt58962[1].jpg
    Wt58962[1].jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Yw68080[1].jpg
    Yw68080[1].jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Yw68272[2].jpg
    Yw68272[2].jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks