PORTED/big bore kit comparisons.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc2 man

Reading the Rules!
hello lads.

i want to find out what is your favourite ported head kit for the zenoah g260 engine,also i would like to know the power these ported motors put out with and without pipe.

correct me if i am wrong.

standard zenoah 26cc would be aprox 3.5hp without pipe, with jetpro 4.5 hp.
now a cy 29cc with stuffed stroker 2mmcrank will put down 4hp -5hp with pipe.

i am just after recieving confirmation via e-mail that my new 27.2cc o neill bros big bore ported and stroked 2mm crank head kit(zenoah) has shipped.in your opinion what kind of power will this kit throw out with and without pipe?

sean o neill recomended to me this kit for the best spread of power in all ranges and as its a zenoah it seems to be a little bit better value for money, $149 nice guy too, www.oneillbrothers.com

all replies most welcome as always/thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
27.2 is a great motor. Only you will know the power since it is hand ported and it will vary depending on how its done and tuned. I have a non ported motor in my baja and love what it does.

27.2 is a great motor. Only you will know the power since it is hand ported and it will vary depending on how its done and tuned. I have a non ported motor in my baja and love what it does.

true.... good explaination.

belive it or not,i don't even know what ported is all about,i understand it to a basic level but thats it. well i suppose it pretty basic anyway,i presume they just enlarge and buff/shine the ports and change there size to there own specs.

i got an email from oneill yesterday telling me my kit had shipped.:w00t:

god im like a child i am so excited about it,cant wait to rebuild the zenoah this time with this kit,ill give it a set of new crank bearings too as at it,i don't have any seals though,they should be ok,maybe :chris:

dc2..for what little it is worth I would change the oil seals...You may have slight damage to them from the sand running you were doing...Just my thought..AKASlawhammer

hello lads.

i want to find out what is your favourite ported head kit for the zenoah g260 engine,also i would like to know the power these ported motors put out with and without pipe.

correct me if i am wrong.

standard zenoah 26cc would be aprox 3.5hp without pipe, with jetpro 4.5 hp.
Stock G260RC (Red Cap) is dynod at Zen at 2.8 hp with no exhaust. 2.6 hp with a stock can. I would guess you would see around 1hp, maybe 1.5hp gains from say, a JPv2 pipe for the baja. you would see maybe 1.5hp gain from a Rear Dom for the baja, and maybe a 1.5 gain from say a TGN or a GBE Mid Bleed. the thing is, every pipe will give you Gains in a different rpm range than the next. So even though they may offer 1 to 1.5 hp gain per given pipe, how/where/when the motor runs strong depends on the pipe design. Now add porting to the mix, and you can really see why proper pipe and porting work done (as the actual port specs differ between one port job and the next unless its done very meticulously and exacting by hand, or CNCd) is crucial to a sood stron running, LASTING motor. ofcourse needle settings also need more attention to detail when setting them on a ported motor with tuned pipe. its really a finese thing.

now a cy 29cc with stuffed stroker 2mmcrank will put down 4hp -5hp with pipe.

stock 29.. motor (CY doesn't offer a dyno, just speced numbers) is around 3.0 hp no exhaust and 2.7 with one. pipes offer close to the same gains on this mill.
i am just after recieving confirmation via e-mail that my new 27.2cc o neill bros big bore ported and stroked 2mm crank head kit(zenoah) has shipped.in your opinion what kind of power will this kit throw out with and without pipe?

sean o neill recomended to me this kit for the best spread of power in all ranges and as its a zenoah it seems to be a little bit better value for money, $149 nice guy too, www.oneillbrothers.com

all replies most welcome as always/thanks in advance guys!

Porting is the term used to make changes to the intake, exaust and transfer ports in our 2 stroke motors. the roofs, floors and side walls of the intake/exhaust are opened up in specific areas to a specific size/shape. the transfer ports (these are side ports in the cylinder walls that allows the fuel mix to move from the lower case, to the top of the piston for compression and combustion) are also massaged a bit here in there. this creates more flow of air/fuel thru the motor, and when done right, you will increase the ease that the mixture moves thru the motor (easier to breath) and also increase the amount of fuel that gets into the combustion chamber. More fuel in the chamber, more fuel thus gets burnt, thus more power is made. now where and how much material is removed from the ports, and even which port, is what makes the motor run better, faster, stronger, more rpms, or as the case may be, worse, self destruction ect.. on bad port jobs.

the Ideal way to build a strong reliable motor that is running a tuned pipe, is to build the pipe for the performance you want, and have the motor match ported to the target pipe specs. this way your motors port work wants to work hand in hand with the tuned pipes performance, thus giving you one monster of a running unit. seems in RC things are done backwards, build/port motors and build pipes to try to work with the various port jobs. This is why one guy may run a rear Dom on one ported motor and love it, and the next guy will run the rear Dom on his ported motor, and it not run the same at all. even though the port work may be similar, again unless the work is Maticulasly done by hand, or CNCd for repetative finished product.

so the kit you have coming is just the ported 26 zen topend? what case/crank will this be going on? Brand/Size.

i have been lucky enough to see/run with alot of the good built motors. my 2 cents will go to Doug at ESP, not only is he a local to me here in Mi. his motors just freaking run Strong. i have around 7 gallons on my ESP 27.2 and its still a beast. though i shold prolly put a new ring in it before summer.

i only have around 1 gallon on my ESP TS 260 Reed case, and that units Fast as hell, and just now getting fully broke in when winter hit.

Last edited:
Porting is the term used to make changes to the intake, exaust and transfer ports in our 2 stroke motors. the roofs, floors and side walls of the intake/exhaust are opened up in specific areas to a specific size/shape. the transfer ports (these are side ports in the cylinder walls that allows the fuel mix to move from the lower case, to the top of the piston for compression and combustion) are also massaged a bit here in there. this creates more flow of air/fuel thru the motor, and when done right, you will increase the ease that the mixture moves thru the motor (easier to breath) and also increase the amount of fuel that gets into the combustion chamber. More fuel in the chamber, more fuel thus gets burnt, thus more power is made. now where and how much material is removed from the ports, and even which port, is what makes the motor run better, faster, stronger, more rpms, or as the case may be, worse, self destruction ect.. on bad port jobs.

the Ideal way to build a strong reliable motor that is running a tuned pipe, is to build the pipe for the performance you want, and have the motor match ported to the target pipe specs. this way your motors port work wants to work hand in hand with the tuned pipes performance, thus giving you one monster of a running unit. seems in RC things are done backwards, build/port motors and build pipes to try to work with the various port jobs. This is why one guy may run a rear Dom on one ported motor and love it, and the next guy will run the rear Dom on his ported motor, and it not run the same at all. even though the port work may be similar, again unless the work is Maticulasly done by hand, or CNCd for repetative finished product.

so the kit you have coming is just the ported 26 zen topend? what case/crank will this be going on? Brand/Size.

i have been lucky enough to see/run with alot of the good built motors. my 2 cents will go to Doug at ESP, not only is he a local to me here in Mi. his motors just freaking run Strong. i have around 7 gallons on my ESP 27.2 and its still a beast. though i shold prolly put a new ring in it before summer.

i only have around 1 gallon on my ESP TS 260 Reed case, and that units Fast as hell, and just now getting fully broke in when winter hit.

tanx again lads for the replys.

the unit i am getting is an o neills 27.2 ported big bore kit with 2mm stroker.

i understand a lot about real life cars porting work eg integra typer and so on but as far as two strokes go not much do i know about the port work done as i say the basics.

that has really helped me though timmahh,very intresting read.tanx

cheers btb,and slawhammer p.s slaw i am in the middle of reading your project over in rcu,great job,love it,great read,tanx.

true ducky,would be intresting to compare mmmm

ahead here like i said i cleaned down my car and started work on it tonight,i said i would post up some of the parts that came today,i changed my spur to elcon,they look great.got new fuel tank too my own was gone pretty dull.
also you will see lots of other bits i got,so i am calling this a service on the whole car,changed the wheel bearings also. new gearplate,clutch,clutch block and carrier and casing,new l/engine mount again alloy all replacing broken parts,new layshaft,this beetle is like new now.

said i would stick on the old body for now.
WAITING ON new body coming during the week along with the o neills kit,cant wait lads! here few updates on me and my car.

DSCF1954.gifDSCF1955.gifDSCF1956.gifDSCF1957.gifDSCF1958.gifDSCF1959.gifDSCF1960.gifDSCF1961.gifDSCF1962.gifDSCF1963.gifDSCF1964.gifDSCF1970.gifDSCF1971.gifDSCF1972.gifDSCF1973.gifDSCF1974.gifDSCF1975.gifDSCF1976.gifDSCF1977.gifDSCF1978.gifDSCF1979.gifDSCF1980.gifDSCF1981.gifDSCF1982.gif
DSCF1985.gif

this is the start of a lot of new bits and pieces to my beetle,i allready have all allou diff,frnt &rear full alloy suspension, rear alloy brakes,cable set up,getting hydros for the front next too,doing a new bodyshell at the moment too its the old black one with checkerd designs,watch this spot lol
still running the cy29cc but at the end of the week my old zen 26 will be in it with the 27.2 2mmstroked o neills ported kit.

enjoy lads and thanks a lot for all the comments and help.
cheers!

more updates during the week.

Last edited:
You had better get her her own or your going to be fighting over who gets to put the new bits on.:laugh:
at least it wont take as long to shine them up.:laugh:
Use some Mothers Polish to shine and protect them aluminum parts. http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101.html
Lookng forward to your build.:w00t:

thanks btb,god how are you so fast with all the info huh??

i read a few of your threads and discussions on several places and i must say well done,all very good information and very very helpful,because of people like you this hobby is possible.

thanks again....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks