ported head damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacman696

hi

i would like some information if poss ,first of all i have a 26cc cy engine which had been fitted with a 2mm stuffed crank and a 28.5cc head ,i was told this was done to make it a 30.5 cc ,but when i got the engine it was part of job lot, the head was cracked at the bolt hole ,so i thought i would strip it to see what had happened , i have just taken the head off and noticed that the gasket is a paper one ,i thought that it should have been copper and two of them to gain the 2mm back ,i am thinking this is why the head has cracked ??

what do you guys think................Phil

Who did he head work? The head may have been machined in the dome area to compensate for the 2mm stroke. That would explain the standard gasket as opposed to stacked gaskets.

If the head wasnt machined for the 2mil stroker crank and the gaskets were not stacked that would defantley crack the head.

i suppose if it wasnt machined out it would have made a mess of the piston ? so maybe it could of been just damaged or a faulty head.............phil

This is not uncommon. There are photos on here of that type of breakage issue with too much compression. If the head was not machined and one gasket with the 2mm crank would be too much for it and it would break. If it was machined then it could just be too much compression that broke it again.:D

forgive my ignorance, but when fitting a 2mm stroker crank do you fit a 2mm copper gasket or a 1mm?
My understanding of a 2mm stroker is an extra 1mm up and 1mm down thus giving the 2mm total so would only need a 1mm gasket. 2mm up and 2mm down would give a 4mm stroke or am i barking up the wrong tree?

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks