Porting and Polishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbluearmada

Hello guys!

Just wondering if anyone has ported and polished thier motors? Is this worth doing? I know a bit about a real motor and just wondering if this is something thats worth doing on a 1/5 scale 5t/5b
Thanks for the info guys!!

Stevo

Hello guys!

Just wondering if anyone has ported and polished thier motors? Is this worth doing? I know a bit about a real motor and just wondering if this is something thats worth doing on a 1/5 scale 5t/5b
Thanks for the info guys!!

Stevo

Hi Stevo,

My answer is NO, I haven't, but there are a few who have.
It's a little like 'gas flowed exhaust' on a car - most gain absolutely nothing on the stock, a small number gain something, but that's really with the installation and performed by someone who really knows what he's doing.
There've been a few posts on this, mostly with people saying they've not really gained much, and the motor's lost reliability - broken within a few hours' use.

Read up a bit.

Main gain is with a tuned pipe/exhaust (by fluke relative to my above comments!).

Al.

+1 Al. Stick a decent tuned pipe on it 1st as you would need 1 anyway if you were going down the porting route. A tuned pipe would also give you more scope for changing gear ratios which will improve performance where you want it.

you will find stuff on the net regarding porting/tuning your own motor. there is a thread on a hpi baja forum showing what to do etc. i think most people leave it to the engine builders but if you know what you are doing,go for it.
As said above, a good tuned pipe gives great power and added revs etc, if you have a good pipe ,port the motor for even better results.
personally i haven't the knowledge to do it,so i buy the motot already ported.

good luck.

Its the same as a bigger engine really....big power increases are possible but reliability can become an issue..when porting you remove material and if not done correctly can destroy a head in no time..
the plating on the cylinder walls has to be left intact and the slightest slip can screw that up..

big gains can be had purely from letting the engine breath well..
I.e good air in..a good airfilter through a good carb..(some can be restrictive)

then let the engine do its work with the air fuel mix..

good air out..a good tuned pipe.

the overall gains per money spent is huge but from then on the gains are less but not to be dismissed.

it all depends what you want from your engine..

racers have to stick to strict rules so cant go throwing all there money at it as that will just get you band from racing and probably wouldn't suit the track in question anyway..

bashers on the other hand can do what they like(me inc as I no longer race)

bashers don't need smooth nor do they need huge power its all down to what the driver wants to do with it..
I run an FG Baja with a 26cc zen and all thats been done is tuned pipe and tuned so it is practically standard..
Right now it has too much power for me to need any more...once I get the car sorted out and get bored then maybe I will start looking for more power

hope this helps or have I just started another useless rant

Its the same as a bigger engine really....big power increases are possible but reliability can become an issue..when porting you remove material and if not done correctly can destroy a head in no time..
the plating on the cylinder walls has to be left intact and the slightest slip can screw that up..

big gains can be had purely from letting the engine breath well..
I.e good air in..a good airfilter through a good carb..(some can be restrictive)

then let the engine do its work with the air fuel mix..

good air out..a good tuned pipe.

the overall gains per money spent is huge but from then on the gains are less but not to be dismissed.

it all depends what you want from your engine..

racers have to stick to strict rules so cant go throwing all there money at it as that will just get you band from racing and probably wouldn't suit the track in question anyway..

bashers on the other hand can do what they like(me inc as I no longer race)

bashers don't need smooth nor do they need huge power its all down to what the driver wants to do with it..
I run an FG Baja with a 26cc zen and all thats been done is tuned pipe and tuned so it is practically standard..
Right now it has too much power for me to need any more...once I get the car sorted out and get bored then maybe I will start looking for more power

hope this helps or have I just started another useless rant

+1 mate.
That was a GOOD RANT!! :D:D

Speaking as a basher (;)) I don't think there is a limit to the power - you always want more!!

Al.

+1 mate.
That was a GOOD RANT!! :D:D

Speaking as a basher (;)) I don't think there is a limit to the power - you always want more!!

Al.

I know what you are saying in we WANT more power but how many bashers NEED more power???:w00t:

I can honestly say my car and engine out run and out handle my driving skills so why would I make the situation any worse by putting more power in it..:mad:

there is alot to be said about setting a car up to run and handle correctly.

As an EX racer I to try make my car run its best before messing about with power. once I get clean runs with no breakages and keep on doing that then its time for more power...Its all balance:p:p

I know what you are saying in we WANT more power but how many bashers NEED more power???:w00t:

I can honestly say my car and engine out run and out handle my driving skills so why would I make the situation any worse by putting more power in it..:mad:

there is alot to be said about setting a car up to run and handle correctly.

As an EX racer I to try make my car run its best before messing about with power. once I get clean runs with no breakages and keep on doing that then its time for more power...Its all balance:p:p

That's defo a racer talking there!!
I want Lewis' 2012 F1 engine to rev to 20k+ and Seb's to 16k, but that ain't going to happen!!

Al.

Gotcha thanks guys! I was def thinking the same thing! I know i shouldn't use my real auto knowledge with these bajas! I have a decent tuned pipe for my 5t and now looking for one for my 5b. Any suggestions?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks