Post Break-In Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csp1971

I just finished breaking in my Firehammer MT this evening.

• Can I remove the stock pipe and add my DDM pipe now?
  • Will the engine get stronger as it breaks in more?
  • How do I know if I need to adjust the needles? Everything seems to run fine to me.
  • I hear gear "whirring" when I run it. High pitched sound. The mesh is fine on the diff gear and also on the spur pinion. Is this normal? I figure it is with metal on metal. The truck rolls very, very smoothly, no binds.
  • Any reason to keep the gear cover on? I see many pics of other vehicles with theirs removed.
  • Any specific fuel line I should have on hand for spare that won't melt against a pipe?
  • Good idea or bad idea to purchase a 48 tooth steel spur to go with my steel pinion?
  • Are the Bigfoot FG monster tires any better than the ones that come with the FHMT? I know they have a medium and hard.
  • I'm thinking about purchasing another body (jeep) which will require longer rear body mounts, anyone sell longer body mounts that will work on my MT?

Lots of questions. I'm just wound up after running it and I have lots of time to think while that damn tank of gas ever so slowly drains!

Thanks-

1 yes, swap out anytime, be sure to retune. start rich at 1.75 out on h and 1.5 out on low and retune for performance. carefull not to get to lean!!

2 yes after 5 to 6 tanks, it will really come into it.

3 check plug color at certain rpms. run the motor for 10 to 15 seconds at any steady rpm, and shut it off asap at that rpm if possible. pull the plug and look at its color, a medium brown is really good, a Dark Tan is considered Performance tuned, but be carefull here, your on the edge of almost to lean with a performance tune.

4 usually yes unless your stripping gears. it will go away with time or get worse in which case you ll need to check some things out.

5 keeps rocks, sticks, dirt out of the mesh and makes lifespan of the gearing longer.

6 any that is gas approved.

7 plastic pinions give a place for the torque to trash something, easier and cheaper to prelace a 13.00 spur than it is a 140.00 diff.

8 ?? don't know

9 yes, all the sponsors here with exception to DDM should be able to get you longer body post.

T

Any reason to keep the gear cover on? I see many pics of other vehicles with theirs removed.
With the DDM pipe it will not be able to be used. And if you do get one of the gears to strip out its not too convenient to remove the gear plate bolts to get at the gears. Cause it always happens away from your tools. Also the noise you hear will be less without the gear cover.

Any specific fuel line I should have on hand for spare that won't melt against a pipe?
If you have the line too close get an extra set of Fuel line clip - I use them on all my models, and cheap. You can get your parts from any duratrax dealer. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHTR3&P=PU

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks