Pull Start Annoying...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdarsa

Hi,

I have been though soo many pull starts - they last about 5-7 runs, and only about 3 sessions in wet muddy conditions (like now).

They are the metal pawl variety, have outwears on them, and are covered by the truck undertray and side guard and insulated with sponge, to keep gunk to a minimum.

I take them out rebuild they are ok for less time, and its a vicious circle.

I don't want to buy an expensive lead weight of a pull start, nor a roto start and carry a drill.

Anyone go any good mods that can prolong their life, or something else. It really does my head in!! :mad::mad::mad:

Thanks!

Your doing something wrong. The pull start I have on my Marder is 9yrs old!.... I see some people make the mistake of just yankin on the cord, you need to get that piston tdc then pull. Plus I never pull the cord fully out. What exactly is breaking on your pull start? Could you be winding that spring up too much? Again 9yrs later same cord same plastic pawl (actually have a alloy pawl and killer rc cable to install) same spring and it works fine.

It just refuses to pull the cable back in. And feels fouled by gritty water. I'm not yanking as much as you think, I'm much better at starting now, still a few pulls though, but never fully extended . It just drives me nuts?

Your doing something wrong. The pull start I have on my Marder is 9yrs old!.... I see some people make the mistake of just yankin on the cord, you need to get that piston tdc then pull. Plus I never pull the cord fully out. What exactly is breaking on your pull start? Could you be winding that spring up too much? Again 9yrs later same cord same plastic pawl (actually have a alloy pawl and killer rc cable to install) same spring and it works fine.

I switched to the killer rc power starter set up and never looked back.I just put my drill and radio in a small duffel bag to carry it and it works like a champ every time.

I agree you should not have near that many problems.
I have only changed maybe 3 pull starters in the last 6-8 years, and I run multiple vehicles.
Seems to be the conditions you run in or something causing this problem, but I would not at all call it normal.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks