Pull start DIY dust cover & fuel cap mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankestein

I own both, the X2 and a KM Baja, the 4WD engine location makes it enough to only use a outerwear.
No matter where the truck is bashed the pull start back of the engine is protected as it is centralized in the chassis. On the Baja the engine is part of the chassis support, like a puzzle, and it is exposed to debris, pebbles etc. Do have the under guard, but on high grass areas it gets stuffed making themps creep up, had to again and again cleanup with a flat screwdriver. If I take the guard off, the pull start gets destroyed, the outwear prevents dust from getting into the flywheel, but the dust cover would get destroyed by the pebbles.

This is more of an experiment, and will see how it goes.

Cut the wire mesh, make to fit, adhere with hot glue to make it stick to the plastic.
Then apply E600 adhesive, I used the two far vents of each window to apply glue and get more surface area.
Once the wire mesh was secured, would fill the gaps with glue gun and reapply over lightly with E600.
On the inside the green padding (cheap at Dollar Tree), apply E600 at the inner edge and on each side (remember I used the far vent of each window for glue/surface area), the one close to the circle, and stuff in, once dry, lift the outer edge and apply another dab of E600. Every now and then, pull the cable to make sure it is fine.

IMG_20161001_104850_zpshwncxma8.jpg

IMG_20161001_104915_zps3rozrcgr.jpg

IMG_20161001_104930_zpsfhqbprna.jpg

IMG_20161001_104945_zpswa909bys.jpg

Note: its not a pretty sight, but gets the job done, I may give it a spray, and possibly the next time experiment with cooking dye color. The wire mesh protects the plastic now from debris and rocks. Attachments show it does not interfere with the FW.

Did the fuel cap mod as well.
Just go one step bigger in bit for the one way valve 3 hole and on the plastic fuel cap. Once again green kitchen pad works wonders. Prevents any dirt, dust from getting into the tank, works very well. Pictures are AFTER bashing in a very dusty area, internals are clean. Tilting the baja will not cause spill over from the cap w the mod, one way valve does its job.

Attachments

• IMG_20161001_113004.jpg
    IMG_20161001_113004.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20161001_113025.jpg
    IMG_20161001_113025.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20161001_155305.jpg
    IMG_20161001_155305.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20161001_155206.jpg
    IMG_20161001_155206.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20161001_155226.jpg
    IMG_20161001_155226.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I took it to the test, this soccer field, some gravel, grass, and it held fine.
Those pull start get covered with leaves, grass, all over, using a toothbrush every so often helps remove them.
There are outerwears, but they don't last long, the pebbles and big pieces of dirt destroys them. With the grill it gets beat up, but still in one piece.
I hope that between a SC plastic guard and the above mod, will let the PS last much longer.
It does look restrictive, but its not, air those blow through easily.

The green pad does work, first hold it in place with hot glue gun in the corners, then apply a generous amount in the inner edge, toward the black plastic with M600.
Some say it does not have a lot of ventilation, have seen many CNC pull starts that say the flywheel vents are enough. Anyhow, air does go through, I may have overkilled it a little, its dented and has taken a beating (will update pictures after some bashing), and still in one piece.
The pull start broke the other day, I fixed it with spares from another one.The metal grid is only if bashing in rocky pebble areas, but for overall soccer field, or bmx track fun, the green pad works, and even better with an outerwear. I try to keep the ignition coil as clean as possible. Besides outerwears break after a while, and they add up, when purchasing multiple times when a green pad can do the job.

Like the inside filter idea. Maybe head to the hardware store and get a filter to AA unit or air filter for the furnace. I agree that outerwarez are good but don't last once you get some good bashing in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks