Pull starter hard to pull.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALWAYSPDG

Hey guys, thought you might be able to help me out. I have broken two pull starters on my mostly stock 26cc engine that came with my Baja SS 5b (2 1/2 years old). I purchased a top end kit many months ago and installed it. All worked great. Have about two hours on it no problems. It was run on pavement only.

The buggy sat for a while maybe 1 year. I then charged batteries installed new fuel and tried to start it. I was able to pull thru several times but seemed a little harder than normal (I think) to pull the engine thru. It would usually start after about 6 or 8 pulls. This time I pulled it about that many times and then the pull starter rope (stock white rope) broke. I then ordered a upgraded steel cable pull starter complete unit and installed it on Saturday. I tried to start it this afternoon and after several times pulling it thru, the pull handle just stayed out about 20 inches, the internal white plastic part of the starter broke. It just cracked the center core out of the internal white plastic piece.

So, there is obviously a problem going on with my engine. There must be a lot more resistance then I think, when pulling the pull starter! I removed the spark plug and looked inside the cylinder, nothing found. I sprayed in fogging oil thinking it might make things free up a bit (easier to pull) but no use. I put my finger over the spark plug hole, lots of compression. I checked the exhaust, it is open and flowing fine.

Do you guys have any idea what is causing this engine to break pull starters?????

The engine ran fine many months ago, it sat for a while, added new fuel and wham, breaking pull starters BIG time!!!!!!!!!! helpsmilie.gif

I removed the pull starter and tried turning the fan piece by hand and I can with modrate resistence at TDC. If I turn the fan slowly (the round thing that turns when you pull the starter) there is resistence at TDC and also when passing the transfer ports or maybe the exhaust port.

I re-installed the pull starter with spark plug out and pulled it thru several times without any problems.

When I re-install everything and pull the pull starter slowly, I can tell that it would break again if I pulled it at normal speed. 2guns.gif

What do you guys think might be going on here??????????

Thanks in advance for the help...

Mike

I checked the coil to flywheel contact, I could slide a piece of paper between them. I pulled the cylinder today found nothing wrong at all. Cylinder walls look good, connecting rod bearings are good, piston & piston rings even looks good.

Now I am planning to split the cases to inspect the crankshaft bearings. I can rotate the crankshaft no problem by turning the flywheel by hand.

Mike

hey guys yesterday i went driving with my uncle and i went over this little jump and i went to turn around but soon as i turned around to do another jump my rovan cut out so i went to go and start it and it would not budge but the only way it will is if i pull it real slow.

hey guys yesterday i went driving with my uncle and i went over this little jump and i went to turn around but soon as i turned around to do another jump my rovan cut out so i went to go and start it and it would not budge but the only way it will is if i pull it real slow.
Jesus Christ man. This post is almost 9 years old🤣🤣🤣

Clutch may have come loose or spring broke or something, is the clutch bell engaging when you pull it over slowly? Also check if the jump made the coil push down onto the flywheel.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks