Pulling my hair out with this engine!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said it bogs when you take off then once at speed it's fine if this is correct change your spring in your clutch.

You said it bogs when you take off then once at speed it's fine if this is correct change your spring in your clutch.

I see what you mean, but the bogging is more from the engine, not a loading issue. The engine kind of misfires and crackles as if it cant clear the fuel. Its at this point that i lean it 1/16 and it then goes straight to the lean flat tone when taking off. If it has an optimum window, its so small you cant hit it.

Looks like ya got dar um one of them perfect seal over lapping tip no leak'in super ring in dare...lol

This is the exhaust port so thats ok no??
I`ll have to check the inlet side later

I really appreciate the help and advice on this guys.

Ive found another carb in my spares box, so im going to try this.

MAYBE theres a chance the two carbs ive tried, are duff. I doubt it but its worth a shot for 10 mins tinkering.

Otherwise, im going to swap the MCD lump i have into the car and see how it runs

No joy with my spare carb. Just tried it now on lunch. The same.

Im beginning to think this engine is screwed now somehow.
I might see if i can swap the engines over later on.

Ive been thinking about a G270 for my MCD for a while given its 4wd, so the 230 can go in the FG and the MCD can have a new lump.

No joy with my spare carb. Just tried it now on lunch. The same.

Im beginning to think this engine is screwed now somehow.
I might see if i can swap the engines over later on.

Ive been thinking about a G270 for my MCD for a while given its 4wd, so the 230 can go in the FG and the MCD can have a new lump.
That sucks but it will be something stupid no doubt?
The ring might be worn, crank seals or both. If the seals are gone the back of your flywheel or clutch housing inside will be black.
If you take the cylinder off and the case smells like an exhaust then the ring is worn.
Personally I'd rebuild it but I like playing with engines??

Have you tried a new spark plug?

That sucks but it will be something stupid no doubt?
The ring might be worn, crank seals or both. If the seals are gone the back of your flywheel or clutch housing inside will be black.
If you take the cylinder off and the case smells like an exhaust then the ring is worn.
Personally I'd rebuild it but I like playing with engines??

Have you tried a new spark plug?
New plug on more than one occasion

I did think about a rebuild, but id rather just rule everything out now and go with a new lump/one i know works.
Ive had the car since September. Its only on dry weekends i get to run it, but its taken this long and hours of messing about to get to this point

Have you checked the arrow on piston yet? Do you have a bore scope to drop down plug hole ? Do you have a small pocket mirror to put up a port and a pen light ?

Just pulled the engine now.

Looks as though there are too many deposits on the piston top to see an arrow. It's certainly not on the exhaust side

Managed to carefully clean the piston top. Definitely no arrow on the exhaust side which is the main thing. Looks as though its in correctly.
Ive taken the engine out of the MCD now but i don't have a 14mm socket to remove the clutch so i cant swap them over tonight.

I will try tomorrow.
The only other observation was the exhaust side of the engine was very oily.
Silly question, but is it possible that a poorly sealing exhaust manifold could be causing all this issues. I'm wondering if this is the case given how sensitive 2 strokes are to exhaust changes

Last edited:
Just pulled the engine now.

Looks as though there are too many deposits on the piston top to see an arrow. It's certainly not on the exhaust side

Managed to carefully clean the piston top. Definitely no arrow on the exhaust side which is the main thing. Looks as though its in correctly.
Ive taken the engine out of the MCD now but i don't have a 14mm socket to remove the clutch so i cant swap them over tonight.

I will try tomorrow.
The only other observation was the exhaust side of the engine was very oily.
Silly question, but is it possible that a poorly sealing exhaust manifold could be causing all this issues. I'm wondering if this is the case given how sensitive 2 strokes are to exhaust changes
No mate leaking exhaust gasket just makes a mess..lol

If the arrow is on carb side put the pipe on that side and carb on the other side. Ebay Racing Inc builds their motors kind of funky. You might want to try a Amazon racing motor, That Jeff guy that owns Amazon builds rockets to put sats into space, So his motors must fly!!!! lol

If the arrow is on carb side put the pipe on that side and carb on the other side. Ebay Racing Inc builds their motors kind of funky. You might want to try a Amazon racing motor, That Jeff guy that owns Amazon builds rockets to put sats into space, So his motors must fly!!!! lol
lol or he could just remove the piston pin, flip the piston, put the pin back, and bam, fixed.

Sure sounds to me like low engine compresion. The op comment "compression feels good" doesn't cut it. You need to perform a real compression test with a gage. I always compression test a freshly broken in engine and log the psi # in my computer. Once i see in excess of a 10-15% drop in compression i know its time for a new ring.

Sure sounds to me like low engine compresion. The op comment "compression feels good" doesn't cut it. You need to perform a real compression test with a gage. I always compression test a freshly broken in engine and log the psi # in my computer. Once i see in excess of a 20% drop in compression i know its time for a new ring.

No that's fair enough. I Can only go by how it feels to the other cars I have that run well and it certainly feels no worse, even if its not optimum.

As for arrow... I watched a video on it last night and it is the exhaust side. Not sure why I put Inlet in my earlier post.
I will check again tomorrow but I couldn't see it

Where is the ring gap likely to be if it is in the wrong way, as it was suggested on the video that the pins would be visible if it was the wrong way round??
On the exhaust side all you can see is the ring itself.

I'm fine with car engines, but I've never had to go too deep with two strokes. Ive either not had the cars long enough or they've never caused me problems

The reason 2 stroke engines have a pricise ring placement is so the ring end doesn't snag in an "open " port. The typical standard always has the piston reference mark facing the exhaust port. This configuration places the ring gap at a point on the cylinder where there is no open port.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks