Pulling the trigger on a new F1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnum

I have always wanted a largescale F1 and will be getting one of the FG's in the next few weeks. I have been reading up and I am curious as to why some have said on several boards that the sportline model is better since it is lighter it will be faster, when in fact the competition model from what I can tell is the one that has won the most championships?

I am an old racer, so I think the metal will help in reducing flex and keeping the tires on the track. Which, I might add I won my first state 1/12 modified by being the slowest driver on the track:) (ok, so it was rained out in the first or second mains while I was in first place, it's still counts as a win!)

I am interested in some comments before I fork over $2500 on the competition model I have my eye on.

what are you going to be doing with the car??? if your bashing or parking lot racing, id lean towards the sportline. however if your interested in serious racing and have a 1/5 scale track, a class and competition, you might want to look harder at the comp

+ 1 Sharkey

Either way you go you'll have a great car. I am with you on the metal reducing flex part. I like my cars all alloy and i don't mind the weight factor as much. The stiffness makes it handle very well.
I have a competition Touring car and am having a blast with it. Even if I am only going once a month in a parking lot, it drives beautifully.

Chris

what are you going to be doing with the car??? if your bashing or parking lot racing, id lean towards the sportline. however if your interested in serious racing and have a 1/5 scale track, a class and competition, you might want to look harder at the comp

Not sure what the "now" term for bashing is, but for now probably parking lot racing and currently there are no local tracks for racing them... And I should add to that yet...!

There is definitely a huge price difference in the two, but I don't think I will say "Man I wish I had bought the sportsline", but I can see myself later wanting to upgrade and regretting not getting the better model to start off with.

That being said I am still reading/searching trying to find info between the two, so the sportsline is not really completely out.

+ 1 Sharkey

Either way you go you'll have a great car. I am with you on the metal reducing flex part. I like my cars all alloy and i don't mind the weight factor as much. The stiffness makes it handle very well.
I have a competition Touring car and am having a blast with it. Even if I am only going once a month in a parking lot, it drives beautifully.

Chris

Yea, I have noticed most cars made from carbon fiber or plastic tend to suffer from the environment more than the alum cars as well. Overtime liquids/heat and stress can fracture them and requiring them to be replaced. Even in 1/10 with plastic parts I very seldom started the racing year off with the same plastic pieces. Well, on that sometimes I seldom finished a race with the same pieces:)

Some non critical parts I don't mind keeping plastic, but i like all the arms and shocks/towers to be alloy. CF is great bling in certain places but not everywhere.

Can't wait to see pictures of what you get

Chris

Some non critical parts I don't mind keeping plastic, but i like all the arms and shocks/towers to be alloy. CF is great bling in certain places but not everywhere.

Can't wait to see pictures of what you get

Chris

Sounds like we think a lot alike....

But yes, I agree as I am adding a CF upper deck and anodized mounts to my 1/10 nitro for no other reason than bling:)

ok.. You guys got me thinking on this one. My LHS called and said he can get the competition, but I am going down this afternoon to talk to him.

While I have the money I might as well go the sportsline version AND get a HPI stadium truck (he stocks the parts for the HPI). I can get both for the price of the single competition FG.

Although I love onroad and racing, I would still want a truck to do what I consider bashing:), which is just having plan out and out fun regardless of track type or conditions. And if I break something on the F1, I will still have a gasser to bang around in till I parts get in.

i have an FG sportline with Samba pipe and aluminum uprights, hydro front brakes and aluminum diff carrier (the front are rear plastic carries have been replaced with aluminum parts).
send me a pm if you are interested.
thanks

i have an FG sportline with Samba pipe and aluminum uprights, hydro front brakes and aluminum diff carrier (the front are rear plastic carries have been replaced with aluminum parts).
send me a pm if you are interested.
thanks

Thanks for the offer, but I have since bought a used WCM and doing some 1/4 scale racing. My 5T has not been run in a long time and also started building my own car from scratch. Tempted to buy another car, but I think I want a trailer first to keep them in and drag around to the different tracks.

this is my F1 Sportline and as you an see I have replaced the front and rear plastic carriers that come stock with the car. It makes a huge difference in handling as the chassis is more rigid this way.

Attachments

• F1 005 small.jpg
    F1 005 small.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 85
  • F1 006 small.jpg
    F1 006 small.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 88
  • F1 007 small.jpg
    F1 007 small.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 83
Luis, I use the same shelf brackets. I am going to steal the idea of innertube on the brackets. That's a great idea. and the added parts do look good. I'll add nice stuff as the plastic wears out. Being the only F1 it doesn't get a ton of use in our group.

Luis, I use the same shelf brackets. I am going to steal the idea of innertube on the brackets. That's a great idea. and the added parts do look good. I'll add nice stuff as the plastic wears out. Being the only F1 it doesn't get a ton of use in our group.

I thought you being from Canada knew about this races

http://www.rctech.net/forum/oval-larger-scales-more/378405-1-5-scale-onroad-race-quebec-canada.html

http://web.mac.com/rcchallenge/RC-Challenge/Accueil.html

I am thinking about making one of these races some time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks