Pulling the trigger on a new F1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey. Just been reading the threads on here ... just joined. Noticed this thread as I am just about to take delivery of my Fg-comp F1 car. It will be my first 1/5th scale car although I've raced 1/10th nitro for over 12 years and more recently 1/10th electric F1 (F104 Pro)...
Just love F1. Always have. Can't wait to get my new car.
Some problems do arise in where to take it but Leisurehours in Joliet, IL is comming to my rescue there :)

How are you getting on with your F1 car?

BM
Well a little more than a year later, I will own a F1 as of tomorrow... Time to get the camera ready for some build pics..

Hey BM....

I have my F1 sitting out and taking dimensions on the parts. Right now it is not together. I was actually a little disappointed in the quality of the machined parts. Expecting to get quality work, there was no clean up of the machined parts so they are scuffed and show lots of machining marks. So I need to clean polish every piece and as I am doing that I plan to draw up so I can machine more parts later if I need to.

I am currently loaded up making helicopter and 1/10 scale race parts for others that I have not had time to do much, but won't be long.

Still need to find and order some tires for it anyway.

Did you buy yours new or used? What year is it?

i am happy to anounce that i now have a Genius FXR
This car is beautiful!!!!

I will be using this car for the US nationals next month in Los Angeles!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0191.jpg
    DSC_0191.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 53
i am happy to anounce that i now have a Genius FXR
This car is beautiful!!!!

I will be using this car for the US nationals next month in Los Angeles!!!

Good deal.

You might want to post that in a separate thread so as not to derail this post on my FG F1:)

I thought about that but your post heading does not specify what brand F1 car, it just reads "Pulling Trigger on a new F1", so since ialso just got my F1 car, i figure it was ok. In no way or maner I inted to hijack your post.

Hey Magnum...

My car is in transit now. It's a 2009 FG-Comp. Its 80% new in that 80% of the parts on it are new. Chassis, brakes, wings even the engine is new.
I have a new body with it too and hardly used tires too .... got a really good deal.
It sounds as though we are similar people in that we like quality parts and cars. I work as an Engineer for John Deere. I'm presently working on new wing designs for the 1/10th F1 car. If they work I will make some for the FG from Fibreglass.
Sounds as though you have a good deal of work ahead of you. I take it you have your own shop to get the work done?

I see your going to be getting some tires? .... I'm looking at getting some new tires FG-Supply are getting in that are very grippy. But I need to get servo's first. I should have my car by early next week I'm thinking.

Sorry for the long post but interested in what you think of the car and what your doing with it.

British Menace

Yes, I work as a designer for Boeing for almost 25 years now. No room for sloppy work in what we do:)

I do have a shop setup, started last year acquiring equipment to make prototype parts, but my final goal is to have a complete car designed. Lot's of work to be done indeed, most so far has been underwraps, I am more the type that will wait until something is almost done before showing.

Interesting on the wings, if you make some let me know. I have considered buying a injection molding machine, but hard to find one that will mold more than an ounce at a reasonable price. I have some resin I have been experimenting with, just need a delivery system now. May end up having to design my own:)

Have not found any reasonable tires. Main thing is I want to make sure I do not get ones like I have that have side inserts.

Hi. Just started making an Aluminum rear top wing for the 1/10th car. If it works and provides decent airflow results I will copy design for the Fg. All of this is hard to get done at work and under time and money constraints too...... would really love to go to the 1/5th Nationals in September. :)

How did you find the build of the car .... good? I know you weren't too happy with quality of the machined parts.

So did you get the FG-Comp too? What year.

BM

Oh the build is going great, just not doing much on it. Just to be clear for others, the parts fit great and the car design is top notch. It is indeed a work of art as others have said. Only the finish is bad. Looks like the parts banged against each other in travel or perhaps from viewing at the dealer for customers.

The only real problem was mounting the dif to the side frames. You can see from the pics below there is a gap, I have been slowly grinding/mating the parts for a clean fit to make it easier to take in/out later. I don't want to get it so loose that it can vibrate though, so will still be a tight fit.

I will have to check on the nationals. Not sure I can make it, but would be nice to at least go see the races.

And now you have tricked me into posting build pictures before I am done:)

I have the 09 comp with mechanical brakes. I am also building an EVO-8 that has hydraulic brakes, so I will be reproducing those brakes for the F1 (can you tell I like making parts:))

DSC_02502.jpg

DSC_02532.jpg

I have not decided yet. I have only started watching F1 racing again after years of NASCAR only. So still up in the air. I actually like Indy cars, so I have thought about doing a Go Daddy color scheme, as if what it would look like if they were doing F1:) Yea, I like Danica.

Hey Magnum,
How is the build going or are you still tied-up with other stuff?
Looks as though I wont be able to go to the Nationals after-all :( My car came but still needs quite alot of work on it to get it how I like.....
Engineers huh :D
Most of the bigger important parts are new but alot of the smaller stuff is older (2009) and worn.
I'm alsolooking at trying to fit the Mecatech adjustable shocks to the car. I've been told they don't fit but I like to look at it as "How" can we get them to fit and what needs to be done to fit them....

Your car will be sweet when your able to finnish it.
Let us know how your getting along with it.

British Menace

Hey Magnum,
How is the build going or are you still tied-up with other stuff?
Looks as though I wont be able to go to the Nationals after-all :( My car came but still needs quite alot of work on it to get it how I like.....
Engineers huh :D
Most of the bigger important parts are new but alot of the smaller stuff is older (2009) and worn.
I'm alsolooking at trying to fit the Mecatech adjustable shocks to the car. I've been told they don't fit but I like to look at it as "How" can we get them to fit and what needs to be done to fit them....

Your car will be sweet when your able to finnish it.
Let us know how your getting along with it.

British Menace

Was sick last week, so didn't get much done. Almost finished with the other parts.

Yea, I realized even though my car was new, the scratches and dings were actually because the side rails had been previously installed. There were corrosive marks around the holes where the bolts had been installed and tightened. Who knows, maybe I got an actual test car from the factory:)

I am probably going to go ahead and build this, then tear it down over the winter and grab dimensions as needed. I can actually scan the parts in no time.

Are you talking about the Mecatech Click shocks? I think I saw another post on that. have not looked at the front end. But it should be easy to simply make new mounts for them. The front might be easy, the rear might be a pain since there is a lot going on there.

New? F1-Comp

Yes, they are the shocks I mean. They would be very good to have on the car to tune the suspension at a race etc!
the only infos I have about them is that they don't fit because of the diameter.
i'm going to be ordering some soon and as you said its a matter of seeing what needs to be done to fit them.

Its a little 'Naughty' having part built a car then sold it as new?! Although I can tell you will still build a really good car!

BM

Was sick last week, so didn't get much done. Almost finished with the other parts.

Yea, I realized even though my car was new, the scratches and dings were actually because the side rails had been previously installed. There were corrosive marks around the holes where the bolts had been installed and tightened. Who knows, maybe I got an actual test car from the factory:)

I am probably going to go ahead and build this, then tear it down over the winter and grab dimensions as needed. I can actually scan the parts in no time.

Are you talking about the Mecatech Click shocks? I think I saw another post on that. have not looked at the front end. But it should be easy to simply make new mounts for them. The front might be easy, the rear might be a pain since there is a lot going on there.

I will be ordering some soon as well. I can always put them on my other FG or Nutech.

Did you find a source in the US? Only ones I could find were going to cost an arm and leg in shipping and currency conversion.

I will be ordering some soon as well. I can always put them on my other FG or Nutech.

Did you find a source in the US? Only ones I could find were going to cost an arm and leg in shipping and currency conversion.

Pleased to hear your feeling beeter Magnum. Never nice being sick .... especially when you have interesting work to get done :D

You can try:
FGSUPPLY.COM
For the Mecatec shocks and many more of the parts needed for this car too.

Like you, I have not been able to spend much time on my car. Kind of taken the wind out of my sales not being able to go to the Nationals and having lots of projects at home needing to be done. But getting some done at work :lol:

BM

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks