Question regarding pinion gear..need help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillin4life187

Last night I noticed while working on the 5b, that rears tires spin quite easily with little resistance. Found this kinda odd because usually its a lot harder to turn. I know for sure its not the motor, since i just bought it from OBR and in the process of breaking it in. So Off came the cover for the transmision. Main spur gear was still on there tight with no problems. However small pinion gear slides back and forth approx an inch. Just far enough out that i can tell its scratching the inside of the spur gear cover if I turn the wheel with spur gear cover on. There is absolutely no resistance on it. In fact, i can spjn it by hand and it just keeps spinning slowly. Kinda like a bearing, if that makes sense. What could be causing this? YES, my pinion gear is on their tight so its not loose or anything. Still trying to get it apart as I write this.mIf it helps, here is my current setup:
OBR full mod 34cc (non reed)
Turtle Racing V2 heavy duty clutch system.
Run an aftermarket TR 57/17 spur gear/17pinion.

Please help. What could be causing or have caused this? I hope its nothing serious since I just finished building my buggy the past couple months and am anxious to go run it. Thanks in advance for the help..

Last night I noticed while working on the 5b, that rears tires spin quite easily with little resistance. Found this kinda odd because usually its a lot harder to turn. I know for sure its not the motor, since i just bought it from OBR and in the process of breaking it in. So Off came the cover for the transmision. Main spur gear was still on there tight with no problems. However small pinion gear slides back and forth approx an inch. Just far enough out that i can tell its scratching the inside of the spur gear cover if I turn the wheel with spur gear cover on. There is absolutely no resistance on it. In fact, i can spjn it by hand and it just keeps spinning slowly. Kinda like a bearing, if that makes sense. What could be causing this? YES, my pinion gear is on their tight so its not loose or anything. Still trying to get it apart as I write this.mIf it helps, here is my current setup:
OBR full mod 34cc (non reed)
Turtle Racing V2 heavy duty clutch system.
Run an aftermarket TR 57/17 spur gear/17pinion.

Please help. What could be causing or have caused this? I hope its nothing serious since I just finished building my buggy the past couple months and am anxious to go run it. Thanks in advance for the help..

Easy fix this one...

The pinion and bell are not lined up properly, you need to undo the pinion bolt and align the two allowing them to lock together before tightening back up.

u need to fit...as iam gonna do on my scott finlay g32 baja 19/55 gearing ....(y)..17/57 is way to low for a high spec/torque engine.....(n)
ur not missing a bearing on the inside of clutch bell/ cover r u??there will b play...but not an inch..maybe 3-4mm max....

Last edited:
Uodate: Turns out it was the pinion gear not locked onto the clutch bell properly and and had somehow come loose. Still don't know how it managed to come apart yet stay on their tight like that and not do some kind of damage. Took apart the entire TR transmission and went through everything, made sure everything was tight, and used locktite on just about every bolt so I wouldnt have this issue again. Also, switching to the 18/56 gearing for a little bit more speed out of the motor. At 17/57 it was just difficult getting lowspeed traction. Just spins tires no matter the tires or surface. Hopefully new gearing will help a bit. Thanks for the input.

Uodate: Turns out it was the pinion gear not locked onto the clutch bell properly and and had somehow come loose. Still don't know how it managed to come apart yet stay on their tight like that and not do some kind of damage. Took apart the entire TR transmission and went through everything, made sure everything was tight, and used locktite on just about every bolt so I wouldnt have this issue again. Also, switching to the 18/56 gearing for a little bit more speed out of the motor. At 17/57 it was just difficult getting lowspeed traction. Just spins tires no matter the tires or surface. Hopefully new gearing will help a bit. Thanks for the input.

Glad you got it sorted out.?
It was probably assembled wrong rather than come loose, its an easy mistake to make an i have done that same in the past.?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks