questions....questions on rampage xt or mt !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irock360

hey guys.....been a reader here for a long time...but just joined a few months ago and now looking for some help/input/info! i own a baja 5bss , have about $2400 invested in it and only ran one tank through to break in the engine (i know......i said break in engine!) so is pretty much new and mint! i listed it on evil bay as i need some cash! but i still want a 1/5 scale as i can never go back to nitro and will have extra if my baja sells!

so my question is......i would be able to have enough money to buy 2 xt's or 2 mt's! one to run, one for spare parts! but i know nothing of redcat, how durable they are...ect....ect....

so out of those 2 , which would you buy, why and what would you upgrade asap! i have been reading and seems like servos are trash, so that is a first for me. but what servos fit perfectly?? don't want to have to dremel,cut and mod everyhting for a servo! do the diffs come with grease or oil?? what about the gear holder , looks like plastic so would that melt or break easily.... what also tends to break....drive shafts....diff cups.....shocks.....is the plastic tuff...is the chassis stiff or a ton of flex...???
i was raised that you get what you pay for...so the price on these makes me nervous! any info or help would be great ! :w00t:

i also saw the new nitrorcx exceed hannibal and that looks cool.....any info on that would be great to!

Last edited:
oh yeah....how fast do they go? i know these are 4x4 monster trucks so i assume they wont be as quick as a baja 5bss ....but don't want a snail either! i intend to strip down and locktite what needs to be and check diffs and such....

thnx man! im not a speed freak, but don't like snail speed either. is the mt larger? i know it has larger tires....but i think the xt is a tad larger ?? any input on the questions about quality and things to look out for?

They are considered entry level large scales but are pretty good. I have an xbe and had a monster truck version 1. Redcat has come a long way. IMO it is still not the quality of FG or MCD but you are also paying a lot less. Change the electronics out immediately.

anybody ever have any major issues besides servos?? like exploding diffs, broken dogbones??? stuff like that! i baby my 1/5 scales and never have had a broken part ever, so i am thinking these redcats for the money will still let me enjoy 1/5 scale ......oh.......how are the engines on these to..... think there not zenoahs or cy right, but another brand maybe?

anybody ever have any major issues besides servos?? like exploding diffs, broken dogbones??? stuff like that! i baby my 1/5 scales and never have had a broken part ever, so i am thinking these redcats for the money will still let me enjoy 1/5 scale ......oh.......how are the engines on these to..... think there not zenoahs or cy right, but another brand maybe?
How come you never broke a part ever. Is it a shelf queen?:)
I own MT TT 5BSS and XB. All of them will break but i Race them . I broke every part and upgrade on heavily modified 5B besides battery box and gas tank including 3 main chassis. I like XB and i think it`s a good entry buggy , modify it a bit like pipe,wheels,some frame supports and you`ll have a nice racer buggy.https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=12099

Last edited:
I have an MT(now more a TT since I rid myself of the giant tires, replaced with Proline Excavators) and an XB. I have never broken a dogbone on my MT. I have stripped a steel gear, bent a shock tower and broken a diff cup. The Xb, after about 8 tanks, nothing yet. I'm not super easy on them, but I don't go out to break something.

My MT/TT weights 33 pounds, my XB about 20.

Lightforce, what kind of frame support are you talking for the XB? Curious if there is something I need to mod. :)

I have a mt which i converted to a stadium truck with the proline desert rat body and a set of hostiles i run the poop out of my mt only thing i broke was front gear box[actually cracked it] after coming nose down on a jump and cartwheeling 5 times,has been a great veichle for me.

I have an MT(now more a TT since I rid myself of the giant tires, replaced with Proline Excavators) and an XB. I have never broken a dogbone on my MT. I have stripped a steel gear, bent a shock tower and broken a diff cup. The Xb, after about 8 tanks, nothing yet. I'm not super easy on them, but I don't go out to break something.

My MT/TT weights 33 pounds, my XB about 20.

Lightforce, what kind of frame support are you talking for the XB? Curious if there is something I need to mod. :)
If you jump and race tower supports might be needed nothing major just a 2 pieces of Delrin/nylon rods on both sides to support flex of the rear frame. Otherwise great buggy homemade mods for now and 5g thru it still pulls strong.

Attachments

• DSC_0385.jpg
    DSC_0385.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 29
If you jump and race tower supports might be needed nothing major just a 2 pieces of Delrin/nylon rods on both sides to support flex of the rear frame. Otherwise great buggy homemade mods for now and 5g thru it still pulls strong.

Good idea. I'll look into doing that, I like cheap mods.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks