Radio and Failsafe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashraf64

Hi all

This would be my first question for all you 5th gurus.

I'm about 8 hours away from owning an FG Marder, this would be my first 5th scale petrol rc. Now i've been reading threads on this forum for a couple days just soaking up the information but have a couple of questions relating to the Radio and Failsafe for 5th scales.

I've seen a lot of info about Failsafes/Kill Switches, but can someone tell me what the main difference is between the two...or are they one and the same? I assume Killer Bee is a good brand as it's mentioned a lot here? Where can i get one?

Also, I currently use the Ansmann W3 TX, which is 3 channel. Would this be sufficient to operate a killer bee setup?

Many thanks for the help...

Ash

nice to see somebody thinking ahead a failsafe will apply brakes on loss of signal but if you lose power via batt or servo jams open your in for a runaway big problem a kill switch will kill the engine so if you lose rx power or signal it stops the engine i have one fitted and use it more to turn engine off but its there if it goes wrong ive had one runaway and its scary big time since that i only run with a killswitch and highly recomend them

cheers gents, is there a massive difference between the different versions or is it just a compatibility thing? The Marder i'm hoping to get comes with a Spekky DX3. Was thinking of selling it on to fund a new shell, but if the DX3 is superior to the W3 then i might just keep it.

@renbar, i've had a runaway with my Revo 3.3. you're right it's scary, especially in a packed park with little kids about. Luckily mine hit a mound and rolled onto it's roof so no harm done.

mmmm........just bear in mind with the v2-s and the compatability with spektrum receivers, as I bought one for my DX3e and had a runaway with it installed!! turned the transmitter off and nothing.......bearing in mind I had checked everything over before hand.#

If your radio is 3 channel, use the 3rd channel for the Killerbee and fit a V1

i knew it wouldn't be that simple!

It's best to play safe eh? V1 it will be then. That's fine as I can sell the DX3 to pay for a new shell.

I've a Spekky DX3 on both of my Large Scales.
The one I use most is the MT, and it's not cut power on several occasions.
I've hard-wired as much as possible to eliminate the possibilities of it being bad contacts.
I've now found that if it doesn't cut immediately, then TURN ON AGAIN and TURN OFF AGAIN, and it normally cuts, second attempt!
You may not have enough time to do this, but ... they do work.
Al.

I've a Spekky DX3 on both of my Large Scales.
The one I use most is the MT, and it's not cut power on several occasions.
I've hard-wired as much as possible to eliminate the possibilities of it being bad contacts.
I've now found that if it doesn't cut immediately, then TURN ON AGAIN and TURN OFF AGAIN, and it normally cuts, second attempt!
You may not have enough time to do this, but ... they do work.
Al.

Sounds scary Al.

On the Ansmann W3 many find it well up to the job and it's not a bad little handset considering the price.....you can pick one up with TX, battery pack and switch for just over £40 from JE Spares at the moment. Range seems pretty good and the few guys that run them at our club have nothing but praise for them. I would stay with the Ansmann and see how you go leave the speky in the cupboard for later.

Kill Switch is a must, As CSR260 has said MMR are out of stock but try Rossendale Models as they are now stocking Killer RC prodcuts. Good service from them also.

OK will give Rosendale a bell over the weekend.

I've had my W3 for about 2 years now. Run 2 nitros and a brushless on it. The arriel is busted but that hasn't affected it at all.

I think i'll stay with the w3 and go with the killer bee v1.

Not going to order anything just yet as there's still little under 4 hours till i know if i own a marder or not!!

cheers all, i've decided to stick with my trusted W3 tx so i'll be getting the V1.

Hope to have a DX3 up for sale soon if anyone is interested!!

not sure how much they go for 2nd hand.. never owned one but have always heard good things about them.

What ever i do i won't be selling on fleabay, sold my ERBE on there and got slapped with a £36 final sale fee!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks