Rampage vs. MCD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman13

I myself have a MCD Ultimate monster truck, and my buddy is looking to get something similar. We are looking at the Redcat Rampage. Both the Rampage and MCD mt's have there "ultimate version", but why is parts for the Rampage so much cheaper? Is it a lower end truck then the MCD?

I think the redcat are coming on strong i have the redcat MT and it is alot of fun if you live in the usa parts support is good redcat has been on the ball of taking everybody that i see on the redcat rampage forum. i myself i"am waiting for the new XT and XTbuggy i want one of each i have bashed the XT truck and it is lighter turns better and i think it will be a great racer i race at largescalerc with a few mcd guys and they have an advantage over the weight of the redcat rampage MT but with the XT that advantage is even :cup-1:

Most shops are out of stock on the MTs, but the XT Trucks are still in stock at RampageHopUps.com Depending what you want to do iwth it, you may like the XT over the MT. Tire size and weight are the deciding factors.

Last edited:
I myself have a MCD Ultimate monster truck, and my buddy is looking to get something similar. We are looking at the Redcat Rampage. Both the Rampage and MCD mt's have there "ultimate version", but why is parts for the Rampage so much cheaper? Is it a lower end truck then the MCD?

Yes, MCDs are a quite a bit higher quality. I really like my MCD RR v4.

I suggest you do some reading and research before purchasing.

For MCD's LargeScale RC is the best place in the US. http://www.largescalerc.com/mcdracing4x4.aspx

For Rampage stuff I'd check out DDM. http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.8142/.f

Last edited:
Comparing an MCD to a Rampage is like comparing a Ferrari to a yugo. Im not saying they are terrible but you do get what you pay for. I have owned the pro version of the mt and with the exception of the screws and bodies they are OK.

If you get a chance to see both side by side you will instantly see the differences in quality. MCD parts are machined to perfection where as the Rampage is machined to working quality. MCD uses the best of everything where Rampages use functional parts like screws n such. If your buddy does get a rampage first thing that needs to go are the screws they are horrible quality and easily strip out.
For parts and ultimate service deal with DDM and or LargescaleRC both are great companies which offer discounts and lightening fast shipping!!!!
and don't forget your Killer RC kill switch. www.killerrc.com

This is my opinion based on owning both MCD and Rampage products!!!

I have a V1 Redcat Rampage. It is neither a Ferrari or a Yugo. I've owned lots of RC cars in the last 25 years and would say the sole one that would even come close to a Yugo would be a Royal Ripper.

I'll let you keep the description of an MCD as a "Ferrari", but I would personally peg the Rampage as a Chevy. It isn't always perfect out of the factory, and sometimes the occasional drunk union guy puts a part together wrong. Then again, a Ferrari is definitely not an every day driver and doesn't always see rain, snow, ice, dirt, etc. A Chevy..or hell, even a Yugo has gone through the every day wear and tear of all kinds of environmental conditions and will have the dings, dents and breakage from these conditions.

If someone has 1400 to drop in an MCD, go for it. I would LOVE one someday. If anyone starting out wants a solid, low priced, entry level 4wd large scale, get a Rampage. You get what you pay for with anything. I find that if it's a fair, reasonable price, I'm comfortable with any problems that may come my way. These are all toys and my expectations with toys are not too high, whether it's an HPI, Losi, Redcat, Duratrax, etc.

I'd personally go with www.rampagehopups.com for cars/parts. The service is great and the prices are as well. That said, I like DDM too, but for Redcat stuff, I go to the source and the guy that has an "in" at Redcat.

I have a V1 Redcat Rampage. It is neither a Ferrari or a Yugo. I've owned lots of RC cars in the last 25 years and would say the sole one that would even come close to a Yugo would be a Royal Ripper.

I'll let you keep the description of an MCD as a "Ferrari", but I would personally peg the Rampage as a Chevy. It isn't always perfect out of the factory, and sometimes the occasional drunk union guy puts a part together wrong. Then again, a Ferrari is definitely not an every day driver and doesn't always see rain, snow, ice, dirt, etc. A Chevy..or hell, even a Yugo has gone through the every day wear and tear of all kinds of environmental conditions and will have the dings, dents and breakage from these conditions.

If someone has 1400 to drop in an MCD, go for it. I would LOVE one someday. If anyone starting out wants a solid, low priced, entry level 4wd large scale, get a Rampage. You get what you pay for with anything. I find that if it's a fair, reasonable price, I'm comfortable with any problems that may come my way. These are all toys and my expectations with toys are not too high, whether it's an HPI, Losi, Redcat, Duratrax, etc.

I'd personally go with www.rampagehopups.com for cars/parts. The service is great and the prices are as well. That said, I like DDM too, but for Redcat stuff, I go to the source and the guy that has an "in" at Redcat.

Don't get me wrong yugos were great cars and would be great sellers during times of $5/gal gasoline. But it is what it is economical. As far as other large scale platforms Redcats are on the better end of the lower end for quality. Its a good jumping off point as you stated for someone new to the hobby.

Personally I like to deal with the big players in the business for my purchasing options they tend to be less apt to create issues in the long run.
To each their own. Thats what makes this hobby great is the choices we have.
This year should bring us some interesting new stuff hopefully!!!

I don't know about the MCD, but I have an electric Rampage that's pumping out ~12+, Ponies and it's still holding up well...

I love my MCD MT but now have a TT(converted from a v2 DR) and v1 MT in my possession...I will post my experiences in the next couple of months as I get to try them out all in warmer weather.

btw, I am not a fanboy for any particular platform except my pocket...

I just picked up a xt used off of craigslist for 350 it runs ok needs a body from looking it over i think they have fixed some of the problems with the rampage my goal is to see if i can make a truck that can hang with my MCD rrv4 comp model i have herd a lot of people putting down the red cats so i want to see what i can do with it

we had an XT run with us on Saturday, new out the box with the dual outlet non tuned alloy rear pipe. it definitely needs a decent pipe to get it moving cos it weren't what you'd call fast and couldn't hang with fgbaja 4x4, nutechs(one bone stock with cy26 and just a jetpro) or hurrax pyrad but seeing as all these are at least piped it's hard to draw a fair conclusion.
it's real light though so with a decent motor and pipe it should book along pretty good, however to compare it to an MCD is impractical...quality aint anywhere near the same as it's an entry level rc but I don't think you can go wrong for the money.
We did find grub screws missing on the front cvd's and the ones there were not loctited or tight so reckon this maybe why a few have snapped cvd cups, pin probably came out and jammed and then snapped the cup. Th servo died after 1/2 tank and pullstart broke on the 3rd pull as we didn't have a spare th servo 1/2 tank was all we managed so didn't have a chance to see how crash/tumble worthy it was. I'd recommend that buyers strip these down and rebuild them to ensure everything is tight etc.

still scratching our heads as to exactly the cc of theses HY motors, has anyone stripped one down yet to measure the bore and stroke??? the FS motors were a supposed 30cc and ended up being 26....just wondering how you get 30cc when it should be either 29 or 30.5

i have the xb buggy and it has 4 tanks of fuel in it now with one issue so far. the stering servo saver cross over bar is a wire & it pops out when turning hard under power. i love the look of this buggy & think it could be bad fast with a few mods. the stering thing needs to be delt with by dual servo conversion. please!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks