RC HEAVEN in the dunes,beetle vids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc2 man

Reading the Rules!
hows things lads i am back with a few more new vids of my beetle on the beach.

these will be the last videos i will be putting up for a while because i will be stripping the car now for the rest of the winter and i have all new parts on the way including new fuel tank,gearplate alloy(my fourth) new bearing kit,new large alloy mount(my third)new clutch kit and elcon springs,new clutch bell,layshaft new, from bashing i have broken a few parts lol new 27.2cc o neills ported and machined kit with stroker crank 2mm.and loads more,elcon spur adaptor new pinions,i will upload pics of the new rebuild with a good cleaning overdue.:clown:

where this location is i think its the best place i can find for driving,it has huge long flat stretches of beach and dunes,mad spot.

the first vid is going up the hill and is recorded from a distance and the others are close ups.

the place where i recorded these vids is on one side of the beach where guys race there quads,it is mad,lots of uphill and softsand,the softsand uphill does put a lot of pressure on the car too though,i broke my clutch and gearplate on this outing....ENJOY!

th_DSCF1946.gif
th_DSCF1948.gif
th_DSCF1949.gif

Last edited:
I think its time to stop upgrading and get your girl one so that we can watch her kick your butt racing around.:clown:

Nice vids. Am I the 1st to say funny beginning?:lol:

:rock-on:

haha
yeah my girlfriend the fooling with the camera :lol:
that wouldnt be hard for her to kick my ass with the car haha

did you spot in the last vid how loud my pipe got loudER,bolts getting loose:nono:
and also at the end of that last vid my clutch carrier and gearplate had snapped from the pressure of trying to drive in the soft sand...

so btb did you know that the soft sand would do that now...:cool2:

did you spot in the last vid how loud my pipe got loudER,bolts getting loose:nono:

Gotta get those fixed up. You been having some bad luck with them haven't you?

and also at the end of that last vid my clutch carrier and gearplate had snapped from the pressure of trying to drive in the soft sand...
so btb did you know that the soft sand would do that now...:cool2:

Woh, never heard of that! Did something heat up?

Gotta get those fixed up. You been having some bad luck with them haven't you?

Woh,never heard of that! Did something heat up?

i don't have a clue its strange,im after droping in the clutch bell to get it welded to a mate of mine,watch these pics bigger the better,clutch bell snapped but i don't have pics of that right now,but WATCH the STATE of my clutch carrier and new gear plate!!!

must have been from trying to drive up the hill on the soft sand... I don't HAVE A CLUE WHAT CAUSED THESE TO BREAK. what do you think?
watch these-
DSCF1953.gif
DSCF1953.gif
that is just a disgrace man,as you can see from the videos i wasnt doing any thing major to do this kinda harm,i am baffled, i was just driving around the sand.

any of you lads have any clues or experience anything similar?

Last edited:
Never seen those break before, but I noticed in the videos that something seems to be placing a heavy load on the engine, it doesn't sound right to me as if the motor is fighting to overcome something?

Are you sure nothing is binding in the drive train, it could be larger than normal stresses have caused the failures you have experienced.

Would fall in line with the broken tranny supports and clutch...?

For example have a listen to my truck on my MT build thread, it's a stock 26cc Zenoah, dechoked carb and DDM pipe with a silencer, she revs up sweet and sounds a lot healthier than yours.

Last edited:
Never seen those break before, but I noticed in the videos that something seems to be placing a heavy load on the engine, it doesn't sound right to me as if the motor is fighting to overcome something?

Are you sure nothing is binding in the drive train, it could be larger than normal stresses have caused the failures you have experienced.

Would fall in line with the broken tranny supports and clutch...?

For example have a listen to my truck on my MT build thread, it's a stock 26cc Zenoah, dechoked carb and DDM pipe with a silencer, she revs up sweet and sounds a lot healthier than yours.

well that now i don't know because when i put everything back together the drive train set up was fine and free,the only thing i can say is that with the weight of all the steel gears and all the alloy it might be putting the car under strain. mmm i don't know.

yeah you have a point your engine sounds good but remember the two pipes we run are differnt and jetpros are naturally loud,but i wont dismiss your point,good point,maybe there is something putting extra strain on the set up..

all that alloy is a lot of weight though,even to lift my beetle by hand is bloddy heavy....

After watching your video's...It's the sand,,sand,,,,You are running a open clutch system
sand got in the clutch bell area and the motor is working harder,,causing the part to get
very hot and discolor making the metal brittle,,the chassie rear flexing took out the tranny engine brace witch was heat damaged already...now no more support there...next was the gear plate from the support tranny bracket broken caused by chassie flexing....and last the clutch bell...all caused by running in soft sand....engine was trying to due it's job and run for ya....This just my opinion
of events that happened......I would say run your car on short grass or packed dirt
you would not encounter that problem again....I have read many a horror story about the guys running there baja's in sand dunes...very same things happen too them as well
But for the baja's many people are using a closed clutch system now...All this is just based on my opinion..I do not run in sand my self....AKASLawhammer

cheers slawhammer,i think your spot on right.

im just after figuring out that when i ran that day i had the vented clutch bell on the car,sure that must be the problem so.

i am putting on a solid clutch bell now again i think better for the sand.

i have a load of parts on the way from hobbythek now next week,clutch bell,new elcon spur adaptor,new gearplate and large engine mount alloy,new bearings,clutch,clutch carrier and clutch casing,i am after ordering the 27.2 zenoah ported kit from o neills aswell with the 2mm stroker,sean himself recomended this kit over the 30.5 cc as he rekons it has a better overall spread of power and a faster top speed(higer reving)

so when i assemble the car new next week i will be running on just roads and if i go to the beach i will run on the smooth hard flat sand.

better start minding it.....

no he actually welded it up for the first time today (AFTER IT BROKE)
and that was my first time getting it welded,and boy did he do some job,it is bang on straight......

done have a clue how them parts broke,but i think slawhammer is after solving the problem,what you think btb?

Are you using a standard clutch?
I'm thinking around the same as Slaw.
I think your problem started with the clutch heating the bell alright. But I think the clutch is what heated the clutch plate and thats where the problem started. When the pate broke on one side off centering the whole system. The clutch plate broke, the clutch pounded the bell around and shook the crap out of the gear plate cracking it.
I have no idea how with all that alloy you are getting that much flex in the rear to cause the broken diff support. Did your motor mounts move at all? If not then maybe the jumping before weakened the support? I do know I made one out of thicker aluminum stock to stop the anoying flex the stock thin one has.

I think of it this way:
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop? The world may never know.:clown:

Are you using a standard clutch?
I'm thinking around the same as Slaw.
I think your problem started with the clutch heating the bell alright. But I think the clutch is what heated the clutch plate and thats where the problem started. When the pate broke on one side off centering the whole system. The clutch plate broke, the clutch pounded the bell around and shook the crap out of the gear plate cracking it.
I have no idea how with all that alloy you are getting that much flex in the rear to cause the broken diff support. Did your motor mounts move at all? If not then maybe the jumping before weakened the support? I do know I made one out of thicker aluminum stock to stop the anoying flex the stock thin one has.

I think of it this way:
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop? The world may never know.:clown:

hahaha good point.
yeah i think ye are on the right track alright,i am using a standard clutch.
i presume when the clutch carrier broke what you said happened.
i have a carbon fiber rear brace on it now.
i am always in trouble with the drive train unit i can never seem to right it.....:eek:mg:

Another point to bring up here..With all that heat damage you might want to check the oil seal and crank bearing.......Your rear chassie is going to flex a great deal if your jumping..and run in rough stuff..
You might have to do a under chassie mod like I done to solve the problem of stripping transfer gears on the lay shaft... and diff gears..I will see if I can find a picture for ya...

why cheers slawhammer.

yes i agree the chassis does flex quite a bit but i think that was part of the design,you see when you jump(fg done there homework) the chassis is intended to flex as a week point,fg also do a carbon brace for the rear i bought one and have it fitted to the car right now it allows some flex,but we are not to be landing on power either when the car jumps and is landing the gears are not messhed properly so power has to be avoided at that point,as you prob full well already know. the carbon brace is great its really strong but can still flex a bit to allow for serious jumps,my car is quite heavy now with all the alloy so i would imagine it would have to flex somewhere.

i would like to see your pics too though.

Chassie Mod

I understand the design and the need for flex on these RC units..For my application
it was too much flexing...I went thru 3 lay shafts and 3 transfer gears and 2 diff gears...
also taking out the screw in the large engine mount..that holds the tranny brace to tie it all together...I also modded that screw....,simple enough..I used 1/8 th x 1" x7" steel
strip....used JB Weld or cold steel ..applied to steel put on chassie bottom...Let cure 24 hours...drilled holes then nut & bolted....I have not had any more issues...I think the shocks were weak also from all the weight..My RC Unit is approx 30 lbs.
AKASlawhammer

Attachments

• Steel Carriage Mod.jpg
    Steel Carriage Mod.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 11
I understand the design and the need for flex on these RC units..For my application
it was too much flexing...I went thru 3 lay shafts and 3 transfer gears and 2 diff gears...
also taking out the screw in the large engine mount..that holds the tranny brace to tie it all together...I also modded that screw....,simple enough..I used 1/8 th x 1" x7" steel
strip....used JB Weld or cold steel ..applied to steel put on chassie bottom...Let cure 24 hours...drilled holes then nut & bolted....I have not had any more issues...I think the shocks were weak also from all the weight..My RC Unit is approx 30 lbs.
AKASlawhammer

good job slawhammer.
i like the way you done them bits,did you deepen the chassis engine holes more for the screws? good idea!

i agree with you a 100percent,way too much flex going on with them,they need your upgrade,thanks a lot for showing me that,i must do a few mods now in time,i am rebuilding car again starting monday evening have my order coming monday with new parts. i broke the screw a few times too like you on my large engine mount,pain in the ass,i had to use easy outs to get out what was left of the screw.

cheers slawhammer, keep the throttle hammered :lol:

Finished Chassie Mod

dc2--knew you would get the idea once you seen the picture...I for got to enclude the finished picture with the scerws & nuts for added measure.........
The engine holes were already done...You use washersthat are counter sunk to slide
the engine back & forth to get your gear mesh....
As to the large engine mount..the single hole that gives every body trouble...I made a stud
from a cap screw...Cut off head of cap screw..put on a fiber lock nut..applyed some JB weld or cold steel in the engine mount hole..put in the stud I made..let cure 24 hrs..
No more issues there....Just be careful not to cross thread on the new stud...
I used a fiber lock nut with blue lock tite...has never came loose...unless I undo it..
Not trying to hijack your thread..just added to it as you asked...AKASlawhammer
Enclosed picture

Attachments

• under carrage mod.jpg
    under carrage mod.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 5
Was your clutch spring broke?...sounds like something got in the clutchbell, maybe the spring snapped and jammed up and broke the alloy clutch mount and then it snowballed and destroyed everything else...you really don't seem to be having any luck with your drivetrain.....i've run in our local gravel pit(not a good place to run really) and had some small stones get in places and lock stuff up but never broke nothing like that.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks