Rear Gearbox is crunchy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moliver

Reading the Rules!
New 5iveBuggy, front gear box is smooth. Rear gear box is crunchy like something is wrong with the mesh. Is this a common problem, do I just have to pull it apart and shim it? Its brand new.

It feels too tight, right now I am sad.

try to disassemble and check if there is something damaged, or something dirty in some bearing .. I had a similar problem with a nitro buggy differential and it had been the satellites inside the differential

I have a first hand experience with the 2.0 warranty and honestly you get farther faster with calling them(y).... if you make sense and atleast made an effort to see what the problem is they have no issue with handing out parts. If not they have no issue walking you through to find the issue as well. But remember not everyone you talk to is completely familiar with the 5ive t 2.0

I have a first hand experience with the 2.0 warranty and honestly you get farther faster with calling them(y).... if you make sense and atleast made an effort to see what the problem is they have no issue with handing out parts. If not they have no issue walking you through to find the issue as well. But remember not everyone you talk to is completely familiar with the 5ive t 2.0

Thanks, don't really want parts, just need my brand new 5ive to not feel like the rear gear box isn't meshing correctly.

I don't have an engine for it yet...if anyone has a not totally clapped out engine to just get this thing running, I would be interested. I have a DDM pipe that I picked up. Ideally it would just be a newish takeout motor from something. Servos too, I have a couple radios, ooops won ebay auctions.

Thanks guys.

Yep my front and rear on my 5ive b are little crunchy but I am pretty sure is because is new. Once is built snd driven it should break in just fine. You will get the same exact part and is still going to be the same. But hey you'll have an extra part.

I took the diff out and everything is good and I found the problem to the crunchy gear box. In order to fix the problem you have to use 1 shim inside just like the manual tells you and also use 2 more of the same size shim on the out side. Now it is butter smooth.

I worked with Losi a bit, seems like my ring gear on the diff got a little out of shape during installation, they sent a boat load of parts after just the tranny case didn't solve the issue. I reassembled using the new ring gear and an alum diff housing from China and its smooth again.

NIZ55 did your gearbox ever get better with some run time?

I haven't got mine running yet, its winter, :(

I worked with Losi a bit, seems like my ring gear on the diff got a little out of shape during installation, they sent a boat load of parts after just the tranny case didn't solve the issue. I reassembled using the new ring gear and an alum diff housing from China and its smooth again.

NIZ55 did your gearbox ever get better with some run time?

I haven't got mine running yet, its winter, :(

No it did not. It was still making the crunchy sound. The gears were perfectly fine though but needed to be shimmed.

I took the diff out and everything is good and I found the problem to the crunchy gear box. In order to fix the problem you have to use 1 shim inside just like the manual tells you and also use 2 more of the same size shim on the out side. Now it is butter smooth.
I had the same problem building up front and rear cases with all brand new parts. I was able to get it super smooth by adding two shims to the outside shaft of the pinion. I'm all out of shims and can only find these included with the pinion gear. Where do you get these shims seprately?

I had the same problem building up front and rear cases with all brand new parts. I was able to get it super smooth by adding two shims to the outside shaft of the pinion. I'm all out of shims and can only find these included with the pinion gear. Where do you get these shims seprately?
Found these pinion shims included in washer pack LOSB6535. Only includes 2 so may need more than one pack.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks