Rebuilding a Zenoah G2D 23 motor but......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTModIT

When I went looking through the parts box I found 2 brand new 1148 cylinder heads in their boxes.Upon looking at the number of the cylinder head in the box it says 1140 and I think a little marking beside it. Shouldn't the head say 1148 on it.If they are 1148 heads will they work on the 1140 crankcase.I do see 1 difference on the ones in the boxes to the one removed from the motor. Thanks.

It looks like the 2 slot openings between the head bolts is wider on the 1148 head than the 1140 head. Is the 1148 head for a 26cc ?

the 1148 is the high output head.. if you like i also have a g2d with new cylinders and many extras for cheap.. pm if interested

Did not know what a G2D was so I had to do some research. LOL Those engines are quite old correct? When did they quite making them? Have only been in large scale for about 3 years.
Thanks

solo was a brand like zenoah. they also made/sold 22.5 (23)cc motors for RC use like the old G2D from Zenoah. they are basically very lightly modified weekwhacker motors. kind of the first true dedicated surface RC gasoline motor.

the G2D is the Granddad to the Zenoah G240/G270/G290RC motors.
after the G2D came the G230s and G260s. the 2 bolt versions of the new G240s/270s, and 290s

I about what years where they make?
Thanks

They are still weed whacker motors just a LOT more high performance. LOL.

A couple years ago a neighbor gave me a weed whacker he bought at a yard sale. He used it a couple times and the motor locked up. It looked all most new. He gave it to me I took it apart and the only thing wrong is one of the crank bearings came apart and locked the motor. I looked online and all they would sell you is a whole bottom end for $80. I got looking at some crank bearings and seals I had for my large scale engines and they where the same. Fixed it for a little time and $20. Been running fine ever since. Still looks all most new as I had yard work. LOL

Last edited:
From what ive read the G2D was a 1.2hp engine (1140 head) and then they upgraded them with the 1148 head to bring the power up to 2hp. These engines are pre 1995. I cant believe this engine is still going strong after all that time!

I have tried to find a bolt on upgrade for this engine and as far as im aware none exist. Ive just been talking to a guy on another forum about a 27.2 esp engine and i think im going to buy that when i get paid.

From what ive read the G2D was a 1.2hp engine (1140 head) and then they upgraded them with the 1148 head to bring the power up to 2hp. These engines are pre 1995. I cant believe this engine is still going strong after all that time!

I have tried to find a bolt on upgrade for this engine and as far as im aware none exist. Ive just been talking to a guy on another forum about a 27.2 esp engine and i think im going to buy that when i get paid.

What do you know about the esp engine? does it come recommended by someone who knows what they're talking about? how much is it? is there any dyno information?

When looking for an engine people should (if they choose to do it the right way) consider the use, cost, service back up and if it's got any pedigree such as oddified, stEvo, G4z engines, all of these have a good race pedigree and are built, designed and tested for good performance, fuel economy and reliability.
Make your choice wisely mate.

its from a guy that orders from OBR on a regular basis. he has supplied me with alot of information and is 100% legit.

I know there is a massive void between racers and basher in what they think is right for their car and it's their right/choice to beleive it. Just ask yourself a question or 2...... If engines from esp, onb, trevor simpson, mmr or who ever the favourite basher engine suppler is - would you not think they'd be making more of an apperance on the racing scene? As you may be aware, a vast amount of R&D for 1:1 cars comes from racing and the same applies to largescale rc cars.
I'd like to know if any of the engine tuners could produce a legal 26cc race engine that is as good as a racer would consider using - now theres a challenge.

It's not all chrome, bling stupid loud pipes and trasmission breaking power.

I'd like to know if any of the engine tuners could produce a legal 26cc race engine that is as good as a racer would consider using - now theres a challenge.

It's not all chrome, bling stupid loud pipes and trasmission breaking power.

So what sort of power / characteristics are you looking at for a race tuned oddy or st3vo 26cc engine in terms of bhp & torque curves? How does the delivery differ to say a std 26cc zen or a 'basher' tuned engine?

Well i want more power. Im not planning on racing as i haven't got the skill or time to commit to it. Im a bloke.... more power is a must. The 27.2 is 4.25+ standard but 5.5+ with a tuned pipe, but that's the power quotes from their site. Ive done me research on the engine and the person selling it. Its all 100% legit and i have a decent company to go back to with any problems

So what sort of power / characteristics are you looking at for a race tuned oddy or st3vo 26cc engine in terms of bhp & torque curves? How does the delivery differ to say a std 26cc zen or a 'basher' tuned engine?

A race tuned engine will give you a super smooth curve, reliability and fuel economy to do a full 30 min final. My oddified motor has 6.5hp and has never given me the slightest problem, it has the torque and power when and where I need it. It's done 6 meetings and a quick bash round the track at chester and I've never touched the hi low screws once. It'll have a new ring and gasket before the next meeting but thats it.

Like I say, off road cars don't need tonnes of hp like an on road engine.

You see post after post on this forum and others like it saying "oh look at my super dooper stuffed crank stroker bling dib dab bonkers hp motor with chrome covers" then 2 or 3 posts later you'll see "my engine won't run, can anyone tell me the correct settings"
I've seen engines like this (I've never owned one but have run cars with them in) and while with an all singing all dancing big chrome pipe they may sound the buisness (just loud to you and me) they're pants and far too over the top.

I'd rather have a standard 26 zenoah in my car than one of these and I'd still be quicker than most others on the track.

Hey, it's your choice. I'd always advise people to go with a standard well maintained engine first and then a tuned engine from a proper race engine tuner.

Last edited:
This is why ONB make race ported engines and all out HP engines. I have talked to them several times in the last couple of weeks an they said most times their full modded engines are not meant for racing but for HP junkies. Best thing would be to call or email them. When I raced a mild or stock engine (depending on track) worked well for me.

I prefer ONB engines as they do a lot of testing, RD work and updating where some of the other engine builders just do the same thing they have for years.

Last edited:
The other consideration for bashers is the additional weight gains from all the ally bling additions. This obviously has an impact on the all important power-to-weight ratio.......

Hypethetically speaking.........
4.5hp engine in a 20kg full ally bling car = 0.225hp / kg
3hp engine in a 12kg std plastic car = 0.25hp / kg

The 3hp is down on power but the weight savings will make for a very close contest :D I like my std plastic car :lol:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks