Rebuilding Losi MTXL Steering Assembly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyT

Hi All,
So technically this is more of an MTXL question, but I am trying to reassemble my truck after needing to replace some broken parts, specifically the Hot-Racing ball-bearing steering system. It is pretty much a direct replacement for the stock system, and therefore not a complicated install, however with the exploded diagram being all I have to go on, there doesn't seem to be any way to determine with 100% certainty which screws go where. Perhaps I am missing something in the way Losi does their manuals (my 1st Losi-brand product), but when I look at the exploded view, the 4 screws that come up through the bottom of the chassis are all labeled LOS255003. I expected to be able to match that number up with the exact screw, but when I refer to the legend, there are 8 different sizes attached to this part number (see attached)! I'm new to 1/5th scale, but not to R/C, and I just want to make sure I reassemble this beast the right way, as my goal is to strengthen several weak spots in the process. Up until this point I've been pretty unimpressed with the truck's durability, and I'm working on changing that. I know it's too much to ask (unfortunately) for Lost to provide a step-by-step assembly manual, and the trend by manufacturers to produce RTR kits without this is the only really significant disappointment I've noticed since returning to the hobby after a 20-year hiatus. Anyway, I'm thinking I must be missing something here. Anyone able to advise?

Thank you.

Attachments

• screws.gif
    screws.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 15
  • exploded_view.gif
    exploded_view.gif
    66 KB · Views: 17
I have found in the past that some of the diagrams and instruction I have used are a bit confusing.I would say that HPI and Tamiya give the most direct and informative as well as easy to understand diagrams. I personally would use the basis of trial and error.Get as much done off the diagram as you can and the one's you can't suss out try them in different positions.
I have used various methods over time but this is the one that comes out on top.
Good luck
J

I'd be satisfied if there were a way to determine which size screw to use! I have to believe I am missing something easy - because if not, these instructions were put together by a total maniac. How can they reference a part number that corresponds to a giant bag of screws of all different sizes without any way to narrow down the right size?! I can't get a response from Horizon Hobby support via email; perhaps I'll just call over to Losi directly and see if I can get someone on the phone who can guide me. Thanks.

Ah , i see what you mean now. Is there a way to break the other one down and whatever comes out of it,measure the size and build the other one off it? I have not seen this car in the flesh so am only guessing.
J

I'm afraid that ship has sailed, as I disassembled major areas of the truck without realizing that there was no way to confirm the screw sizes. I have to be missing some sort of legend or key that would confirm these variables...but Losi doesn't get back to me and I'm still stuck. ARg.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks