Redcat Rampage 5 TT V3 Buggy questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46u

What is the difference between the XB and the 5 TT? I see the TT has some alloy parts like shock towers. shock bodies and chassis. I think it all so comes with steel gears. Is this correct and what else if any.

Does it use standard size throttle brake servo or large scale? If I where to get one I would take the radio, servos and engine out as I have better engines, servos and a good radio.

What do you think I could see a HY 26 or 30 for if I never start it? Sure wish they sold one as a roller with out engine.

How does the drive train on these hold up and are there any up grades that need to be done to it to make it durable. I was thinking about the alloy gear plate.
Thanks

the xb is a 1/8 scale in a 1/5 scale size. i love my xb. it's also about 19lbs were as the tt is like 30lbs. alittle different set up on it, and it's a tank. my drive train is holding up great and it comes with all steel gears, and there are many hop ups for it so far. it comes with a standered size servo for the throttle/brake and a 1/5 scale size servo for the steering. the steering servo is really strong and serprisingly fast. the throttle servo worked great but smoked on me, but i can't complain cause i called redcat and told them about it and i have a new one on the way to me at no charge.

Did not notice it till you said something the XB is 19.8 pounds and the TT is 27.7 pounds. Is this your first large scale RC?
Thanks

Last edited:
I thought the TT was just a up graded XB but after your post I took a better look at the XB and like it a whole lot better!!!!!!!!
THANKS!

nope not my first. i have a hpi baja, firehammer mt and the redcat xb. plus i've built some big one's like my pocket quad that i turned into an rc. i have about 2 dozen rc's from 1/10 up to 1/5 and beyond.lol and some how the wife seems to keep track even when i try to hide a new one.

How long have you had your XB? How much run time do you have on it? Have you had any problems with the HY engine? I read where some of the motors that do not have the Walbro carbs have had problems with the carbs. Yes I have been in the hobby my self for some time. Been trying to sell some of my MANY RC vehicles but as you know used they do not bring much. My only large scale is my 5b SS.
Thanks

i've had it for a couple of months now and i play with it as often as i can. i bring it with me every week to our club races and when we're done i'll bring it out and do some laps. so far i've had the th/br servo go up in smoke but they're sending me a new one at no cost to me and tonight i just broke the front shock shaft, but i was driving it like i stole it lol. i don't like the stock carb too much so i'm going to order a new one or i may wait and get another f270. i have one of them in my baja and that motor is great. i can't bring myself to get rid of any of my cars, i still regret selling the one i got rid of a few years ago which is probably why i'm a rc horder.lol

Last edited:
If I get a XB I will have to sell something do to my situation. Been out of a steady job for over 2 years and my health is not going to let me go back to my trade. But considering everything I am doing fairly well.

How well does the XB fly off a jump? I see where you said club race is this a large scale track you run at? There use to be a large scale track about 60 miles from me but it closed and not the next closes on is 300 miles one way. I SURE DO MISS RACING!!!!!!
Thanks

Well after going to the Rampage forums and reading about all the problems some of which you have had as well as too many others I am going to have to pass on the XB till there are some improvements made. They seem to be working on the problems but will not think about getting one till they fix them.

Some problems I have read about.

Carburetor needs to be replace stock one is junk!
Servos burning up WAY to often.
Steering problems.
Drive train bearings wearing out 4 or 5 tanks.
CVD cups breaking.

Here is a link
http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=5410

I have an xb and I love it. We have a local track here in the Chicago area and have a few xbs. All platforms made in china need thier steering servos up graded ,because the manufactures all put in the cheapest servos they can to keep cost down. Remember the wheel bearing holders are plastic so they wearout. Perhaps a all aluminum platform is what your looking for no wear or tear,however be prepared to spend a lot of money. Remember the redcats,and nutech`s are entry level platforms.

The problem with the wheel bearings is they are too small and will not withstand the load. 7075RC make some very nice alloy front knuckles and rear axle bearing mounts that take bigger bearings and from what I have read have cured the wheel bearing problem.

I have several spare GOOD large scale servos and one spare standard servo so I have that covered. I all so have several Walbor carburetors and have that covered.
Thanks

Last edited:
The rampage tt does not come with steel gears i have a version 3 so all the bugs have been worked out and i love it i have a nutech tb2pro and a mcdv4 and my rampage tt is one of my most dependable and i beat the hell out of it,as for the servos had to replace all the stock ones there garbage,and will keep burning out know matter how many the factory sends you.

i plan on a complete teardown this winter and upgrading the motor and putting the 7075 carriers in it and other things. already have gears on order and the baja adaptors. maybe better shocks too since i just had a shock shaft break, and i wasn't even jumping, just racing up and down the side of the road in the dirt.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks