Rounded Grub Screws :( ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drill it out bud....

If it is a 5mm grub...use a 4mm bit............6mm grub...5mm bit...etc etc..

This will remove all of the grub leaving the thread behind which you can remove after you've got it off.....

Just remember to drill slowly with firm pressure and plenty of lube....crc..wd40 etc..

if you hace any stud extractors kicking about, or reverse thread drill bits use them, but I doubt that they go that small. carefuly drilling out should work.

it's usualy possible to re-tap it if you muck up the thread (assuming that the gars are not through hardened), and tap sets are only about £5 per thread size for a decent one.

will have ago at drilling it out with my dremmel, aye its got thread lock on it (blue) it turned a little, then i rounded it! :(

tried heating it up too but didnt really help :( think i used the wrong size tool, i need to get myself some decent ball end hex drivers, but they fkin expensive! ...anyone know of a good place to buy a set from?

will have ago at drilling it out with my dremmel, aye its got thread lock on it (blue) it turned a little, then i rounded it! :(

tried heating it up too but didnt really help :( think i used the wrong size tool, i need to get myself some decent ball end hex drivers, but they fkin expensive! ...anyone know of a good place to buy a set from?

if you have moved it slightly then it needs heating up hotter it should move

with only blue loctite..............this is an expensive game .......

i wish i had the cash ......LOL

K....

Blow torch the fooker then use your Dremmel(if there is enough thread/head showing) to cut a slot in it then use a flat blade screwdriver to turn it out.It has to be HOT before you turn it out.
J.
Thanks for the money Daz.
Or, alternatively use a TORX bit on it when hot.

ahh, I assumed it was ceased.

Like Voo said, tru with a torx head first, slightly oversize if possible and tap it inti the rounded head with a small hammer. If that does not work, then stick a drill on reverse with a sharp drill bit in it, and push against the rounded head whilst gently warming the gear. It should back out a bit more.

if all that fails, cry and buy a new gear before you kill the shaft as well.

my layshaft gear was already fooked when that happened to mine so I took the shaft out & drifted the gear off the shaft & binned it. They are frustrating little fookers them grub screws :cursing::cursing:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks