Rovan Q 30.5 Cylinder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddhall

First day running my Rocan Q with 30.5. Proper break in on a few tanks of gas. Switched to Stihl Synthetic oil 25:1, ripped on it for 5-6 minutes- motor acted like it ran out of fuel. Would not start back. Would not hit starting fluid or gas put in cylinder. Has good spark. Tore down to inspect cylinder. Any ideas?

Attachments

• A87CBE23-5487-4116-A5DD-7B98FDF35F2A.jpeg
    A87CBE23-5487-4116-A5DD-7B98FDF35F2A.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 33
  • D6C92A4D-0724-4B8D-A16E-7F371E03A0CE.jpeg
    D6C92A4D-0724-4B8D-A16E-7F371E03A0CE.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 34
  • FDE5B626-2759-49D4-A169-C1FC3F25F78D.jpeg
    FDE5B626-2759-49D4-A169-C1FC3F25F78D.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 32
It is on there just a bad pic. Do you think the cylinder wall looks damage in the bottom of the pic? Think that would drop compression on a brand new engine? I didn't want to battle coronavirus to get a new compression guage.....
Look a bit like piston slap to me. Although piston slap won't cause immediate issues. Im not an expert so take it with a grain of salt, there a few other guys who know alot more than me
@Top Dead Center
@Seandonato73
Welcome to the forum btw.

Welcome to the forum?

Did you check fuel line,was bowl filling with gas.
Flooded?,did you let it just sit for awhile then retry.
Check for vapor lock?.
Check breather hole in tank.
Make sure pulse hole clear.
Reset the needles to stock.
A guy just the other day had a similar issue(I think) turned out his jets were not set to factory specs.
Usually teardown is last resort.
Was something else happening?.

It is on there just a bad pic. Do you think the cylinder wall looks damage in the bottom of the pic? Think that would drop compression on a brand new engine? I didn't want to battle coronavirus to get a new compression guage.....
Welcome to the forum?

Did you check fuel line,was bowl filling with gas.
Flooded?,did you let it just sit for awhile then retry.
Check for vapor lock?.
Check breather hole in tank.
Make sure pulse hole clear.
Reset the needles to stock.
A guy just the other day had a similar issue(I think) turned out his jets were not set to factory specs.
Usually teardown is last resort.
Was something else happening?.

I checked all except for resetting the needles. I thought it lost compression the way it was running great and shut off, and it felt different on the pull cord so I tore into it. When I put it back together do I have to get a new head gasket or reuse that one? I did not try another spark plug (stupid I know ) but all spark looked good.

Did you check compression before you ripped it apart?
When you say it felt different pulling it over, what do you mean? Harder to pull easier to pull?
To me it looks like a lean run condition
Check the ring as advised if ok check the crank spins nice toss it back together and check for carb and fuel issues.

Did you check compression before you ripped it apart?
When you say it felt different pulling it over, what do you mean? Harder to pull easier to pull?
To me it looks like a lean run condition
Check the ring as advised if ok check the crank spins nice toss it back together and check for carb and fuel issues.
Please don’t use that oil again our chain saws burn up on that stuff all the time use at least klots

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks