RPM Comparison and Compatibility of 4-Pole vs. 6-Pole Motors with Castle MMX8S ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Famous_Amos

For a Castle MMX8S, one motor is a 4-pole 750kv, and the other motor is a 6 pole 750kv. Will one make more RPM than the other? Can castle ESCs run 6-pole motors?

RPM would theoretically be identical, since pole count is accounted for in the kv rating determination.

I believe the 6-pole would deliver more torque and the 4-pole would have a higher power ceiling.

The MMX8S is a fantastic ESC that punches above its weight class. It can handle 6-pole motors just fine.

What car and motor are we talking about here?

Thinking about making a "low" power Baja 5b flux, prioritizing less weight... Using a 796kv TP Power 5840S with the MMX8S. Would run it on 8S with 5200mah cnhl soft packs.

Something I noticed is that the big motor bajas seem to endlessly spin the rear wheels or pull wheelies immediately if they get good traction. I'm thinking that a power system capable of pushing 30lb DBXL-E is probably egregious overkill for this lighter 2wd car.

I want to try a lighter build, and see if that is peak fun or lame.

That sounds like a fun build to me. I think you’re right on track with the electronics.

I ran a TP 5660 1170kv with MMX8S in a 1/5 scale Outcast for a while. Great setup. So smooth it almost seemed sensored.

The ESC got a little warm so I installed a cheap 4028 fan and plugged it directly into the receiver. That way the fan would always be on instead of the default 140F heat trigger with the stock fan. Temps were great after that and I drove the truck hard.

Well I'm doing it. Very conservative build. MMX8S, TP 5840L, 740kv, wye wind. Planning to use CNHL 5200mAh 90C packs.

Driving weight should be 2.22lb lighter than than the normally recommended electronics suite (xlx2 800kv), and just about the same weight as a Baja with a 32cc gas engine wet weight.

CG is also going to be lower than farther forward than the former 2 configurations. I'll probably weigh all 4 corners to see if this was at all worth it to improve the balance.

Kit is in the garage, motor is on order... Now we hurry up and wait. TP power USA stated it is a 30 day lead time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks