Running 5b on road with road tyres and road shell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzarose

Hi guys,

Me and my dad bought Bajas back in Febuary, and used them a fair bit in the evenings after work, cos hes away most weekends down his caravan and boat. Problem is now its dark wen I leave work, so only chance we get is if hes home some weekends. So we thought it would be good to use them in a local industrial estate where theres big flood lit car parks, but for that we need tarmac tyres. I know hpi do them but it about £80 for a full set mounted on wheels, which to be honest is a bit steep cos im in the process of buyinh a house, and my gf would kill me. SO we wanted some cheapo road wheels and tyes. I know ansmann do some, as well as some other ones I've seen, but I don't know what ones fit. Has any one tried any? There are some that are about £40 for a set of 4 here http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp/ProductID/426/lockit/true/H501.htm. But im not sure if they would attach to the Baja hub.

Also i guess we'l need to stiffen the suspension and add some roll bars. Again money is tight so if anyones got any tips on diy roll bars I'd love to give it a try.

And last but not least, we though it would be nice to have some road shells for them. Something like a rally car shell, it wouldn't look stupid with some slight off road tyres on for using on dry grass in the summer.

Sorry for the long post guys. I just want something to do, cos If i get the house I want its got a garage and a small workshop so I need a project to potter with,lol.

Thanks

Gareth

Hi guys,

Me and my dad bought Bajas back in Febuary, and used them a fair bit in the evenings after work, cos hes away most weekends down his caravan and boat. Problem is now its dark wen I leave work, so only chance we get is if hes home some weekends. So we thought it would be good to use them in a local industrial estate where theres big flood lit car parks, but for that we need tarmac tyres. I know hpi do them but it about £80 for a full set mounted on wheels, which to be honest is a bit steep cos im in the process of buyinh a house, and my gf would kill me. SO we wanted some cheapo road wheels and tyes. I know ansmann do some, as well as some other ones I've seen, but I don't know what ones fit. Has any one tried any? There are some that are about £40 for a set of 4 here http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp/ProductID/426/lockit/true/H501.htm. But im not sure if they would attach to the Baja hub.

Those above would not work but, you could buy just the rear HPI road tires and mount them on your existing rims and keep with the fronts.<Baja onroad tires ebay>

Also i guess we'l need to stiffen the suspension and add some roll bars. Again money is tight so if anyones got any tips on diy roll bars I'd love to give it a try.

Just crank down the adjustment of the stock shocks. Cheapest way to stiffen it. Could also try a thicker shock oil?
You could make some type of home made nerf bars to keep it from rolling.
media.jpg

And last but not least, we though it would be nice to have some road shells for them. Something like a rally car shell, it wouldn't look stupid with some slight off road tires on for using on dry grass in the summer.

Don't think there are any on road bodies for the HPI Baja.:no:

Sorry for the long post guys. I just want something to do, cos If i get the house I want its got a garage and a small workshop so I need a project to potter with,lol.

Good luck, nothing like owning your own home.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the repies guys,

Its a bit of a pain having to swa the tyres around. Il try and keep an eye out for some used mounted tarmacs or some used wheels and get new tyres. Its a shame theres not alot of cheap aftermarket parts like there are for smaller RCs, and its more of a problem cos all the large scale stuff seems to hav different ways of mounting the wheels. Are there any cheap alternative for FGs? cos I know you can get adapters to use FG wheels on Bajs,

Thanks again

Gareth

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks