Running in the snow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21bangbang

Has a well-known member
Build Thread Contributor
So I couldnt resist taking the MTXL out in 4" of fresh powder. I don't regret it one bit. The MTXL is fantastic in such conditions. It handled suprisingly well with the big tires. Only issue was after about 15 minutes, it shut right down. Absolutely everything was packed with powder. The thing must have weighed 60pds. Im guessing it shut down because the air filter sucked in water. So my question is, how do you guys run in the snow? Any tips on keeping it going longer? Anyone familiar with the MTXL knows the body is usless for stopping crap from getting inside. Id love to do it again if I can make it work.

So I couldnt resist taking the MTXL out in 4" of fresh powder. I don't regret it one bit. The MTXL is fantastic in such conditions. It handled suprisingly well with the big tires. Only issue was after about 15 minutes, it shut right down. Absolutely everything was packed with powder. The thing must have weighed 60pds. Im guessing it shut down because the air filter sucked in water. So my question is, how do you guys run in the snow? Any tips on keeping it going longer? Anyone familiar with the MTXL knows the body is usless for stopping crap from getting inside. Id love to do it again if I can make it work.
Run an outer wear on ur filter ? they are waterproof and they shouldn't let shite in. Next winter im 100% running my baja in the snow ? if only i could now ?

I ran my Baja with an outerwears prefilter in damp conditions (not raining) and it still stalled and flooded my motor. It was such a pita to get it running again. It fouled the plugs and I had to replace it. I had to pump out the fuel and run fresh fuel through it twice just to clear it up otherwise it would keep stalling. I constantly had to flip the motor upside down and use the pull start to get all the water out with the plug out. I've always wanted to run my gassers in the snow, but after that experience I'm not so sure anymore. I think I'll stick to electric for the winter months.
I did, its even outerwear brand. It doesn't seal super tight around the back of the big square filer, and snow got in.

That's an issue I've read about more than once. I've read of people using grease around that area to seal out the water. It almost makes an outerwears pointless with that area exposed. Whenever I pull mine apart, that snap on filter attachment area is full of sand and guck.. not good.

Last edited:
I ran my Baja with an outerwears prefilter in damp conditions (not raining) and it still stalled and flooded my motor. It was such a pita to get it running again. It fouled the plugs and I had to replace it. I had to pump out the fuel and run fresh fuel through it twice just to clear it up otherwise it would keep stalling. I constantly had to flip the motor upside down and use the pull start to get all the water out with the plug out. I've always wanted to run my gassers in the snow, but after that experience I'm not so sure anymore. I think I'll stick to electric for the winter months.

That's an issue I've read about more than once. I've read of people using grease around that area to seal out the water. It almost makes an outerwears pointless with that area exposed. Whenever I pull mine apart, that snap on filter attachment area is full of sand and guck.. not good.
Agreed. Im not super impressed with the outwears filter covers. The other ones work ok, but never had a tight seal on any airfilter ones. Kind of makes them useless. Haven't tried starting the mtxl again yet. Dumped a bunch of 3 in 1 into it so hopefully rust wont take hold. Think ill run a can of wd40 through it after work.

Some guys do some guys don't I don't like running my car's anywhere near water when I first got my 5 I ran it on a rainy day I beat the crap out of that car that day . The motor didn't last long after that.

Wonder if the tr 5ive filter (like I'm running) that moves the filter to the middle would help out at all. For my db I pit a plastic windshield and sides in to run in the snow but it still gets in there. Never had long runs in it though too cold for me.

I wouldn't dare to run in snow. With the electronics (an engine producing heat >32F = liquid water), cold temperatures causing brittle parts to be easily broken, and the unknown surrounding area (snowbank being a broken sign post instead, hidden water puddles that could wreck the air filter = not good for engine), and so on.

I wouldn't dare to run in snow. With the electronics (an engine producing heat >32F = liquid water), cold temperatures causing brittle parts to be easily broken, and the unknown surrounding area (snowbank being a broken sign post instead, hidden water puddles that could wreck the air filter = not good for engine), and so on.
I have my battery box well sealed, rx slobbered in dialectric grease, and waterproof servos. I accept possible broken plastic, its worth the risk to me. Just gotta figure out the air filter situation. That seems to be my only real hurdle.

I run at my house or at my work so if there's something I hit it's my bad anyway. I don't get to run much so as it is, so when the opportunity presents itself I'm taking it.

Wonder if you made a snorkel if that would help out ? Or try to seal up the body a bit. I know it's hard to do but any little bit will help.

I run at my house or at my work so if there's something I hit it's my bad anyway. I don't get to run much so as it is, so when the opportunity presents itself I'm taking it.

Wonder if you made a snorkel if that would help out ? Or try to seal up the body a bit. I know it's hard to do but any little bit will help.
I actually considered a snorkel, but not sure I could get it high enough. Sealing the body is a option, but with the MTXL thats a tall order. The body hovers 6" above the car front and rear. Perhaps I can find a different one. What I was thinking is large mud flaps in the front. Those front tires are what fill the body up. Gonna find some rubber and try to make some.

I ran my Savage nitro MT in the snow and on the ice many times. It does take some extra precautionary measures or you will have problems. First and foremost you NEED to seal up the servos. All's thats needed is to smear a thin bead of RTV at the outer case joint. Also add a thin oring around the servo output shaft under the servo arm. I also had a dedicated set of snow tires / wheels also all the joints sealed with RTV. What will happen is water will seep into the tire foam. soak the foam and now you will observe a substantial rotational wobble in the tires from the inner foam shifting and becoming way out of balance. Shock boots are a good idea as same deal water seeps past the shock shafts and contaminates the oil. When all the residual water freezes within your RC truck, now you have even more problems. Lastly I ran very thin viscosity oil in the shocks so as to maintain good bump absorption. Once you get them water-proof RC's are an absolute BLAST in the snow and out on the ice !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks