Samba pipe - surgery needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidelity101

I picked up a used samba pipe for my losi 5T and it's in great shape other than the two tabs that hold the springs on the pipe itself. The tabs are worn down about 80% now and I need to fill in the worn areas before it completely fails. I've tried cleaning with acetone and a wire brush before applying a coating of jb weld and letting that sit for 2 days. The fix lasted about half a tank of fuel before it was completely gone on both sides.

Is there an epoxy or other product on the market that can stand up to the springs and heat and vibration? If not, I might have to find a welder to add some metal to the brackets.

You will need to find a welder to put the hooks on the pipe. Epoxy (gluing) them back on will not work. The other problem you will have is it is not going to be easy to weld on it once you have had epoxy in the pore. It is doable to do, but a pain. I have welded a lot of things of that people have said were cleaned. After I asked why they cleaned it. They said because it had epoxy or JB weld on it. Nasty stuff to try and weld on once it is applied.

I must have done something wrong, because the epoxy is completely gone. Nothing held for more than 15 minutes. Maybe it's the hard angles, heat and vibration? A friend suggested high temp JB weld, but I'm guessing that will not work either? Is there any other way short of welding?

If you do the math, unless its was a super deal, the price of the used pipe plus welding, might as well bought a new one.

don't go to a machine shop, they will charge an arm and a leg per hour on most places. For small easy jobs like that I prefer the curb side muffle shop, all ragged, no sign, paint peeling off, a few cars raised on concrete blocks, the welder is smokin a cigarette with a beer in hand and its not even noon yet (lol, I want overboard), you get the picture. Just don't go to Meineke or pretty place. All the welding done on my long gone pocket bikes was done the same way.
Good luck

Yeah, get one of those run down places where no one seems to give much trade, they will hook you up just to have something to do and show off their skills to prove they still got it and hope to have you as a return customer in the future, or like Crank said, just get a new pipe and be done with all the hassles.

You ever get the pipe fixed?

Where are you located?

I've helped out other RC fans in the past and would be glad to weld it up for yah.

I'm in Buffalo, NY. I haven't been able to find anyone with a tig welder which I think may be needed for this delicate work.

I very much appreciate the offer...I'll send you a PM

That's not far from me at, I'm in NC. Yes, I agree hence the name "Tig" ;)

Any time Fidelity, glad to help another RC fantatic.
We can chat through PM now

Thanks crank, appreciate the kind words.
That goes to any member, if they have any type of tuned pipe issues feel free to PM me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks