Servo settings for steering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin.
Community Leader
I've heard digi servo's have some issues with possible burn out. I've set my DX3 steering rate to 90%. Is there anything else I should do to help prevent damage to my servo?

-Michael

EPAs. find your travel limits and then set you EPAs to those limits. most of the burnt out digi servos i have heard of, are suggested its over extending the end points for to long of a period causing the burn outs.
thats how i understand it, i ve only lost a few servos mostly due to water, but one from a burnout. it was the stock throatle servo on the baja. burnt out from too long a failsafe engaugement. but they are not digi servos either.
hth

you should set it to where the wheels on the car stop turning(max travel).Another words turn on the car and turn your epa until the wheels stop moving and your set.Every car is different so thats how I set mine once its set just remember the setting and run with it.You want max turning without going over.10% may or may not be your max but it sounds like its safe.

you EPAs are different the Exponentials and the % is how much the servo is allowed between teh EPAs. the Speky has EPAs on the steering servo only. so you can set your EPAs for max travel allowed, and your expo% for max speed, then you can set your steering % to 125 which will allow the servo to move fully between the EPAs on both sides.

imo, you far better off to set the EPAs to the max travel allowed and leave your Steering % at 125. but you can back it down to say 100%, then have it set up to give you the extra 25% travel when you push the thumb button in an emergency....
hope i haven't thuroughly confused you yet...lol

So if I reduce them by 10% like I have I should be ok?

-Michael

WoodiE,

On your MT set the steering so that the servo turns all the way to the left and the right make sure the aluminum stops just hit the arms but no further, you will see the servo trying to turn farther if its set too high. I have had the same digi servo you have for 2 years without problems, and I've broken two servo saver shafts without even knowing it.:)

How to set Steering End Point Adjustments...

...or here's how I do it anyway.

Assuming you've assembled it all correctly (letting the powered servo center itself, adjusting the transmitter trim to center, all before attaching the servo horn with the car's steering set to center), first turn on your transmitter and car.

On your transmitter, start by adjusting the Dual Rate to 100 percent (or higher, if it goes - depending on the radio). This makes sure that you have it set up to the maximum with no chance of overextension later with an errant adjustment. Next, find the End Point Adjustment (EPA) or equivalent section of the menu (or knobs, depending on make/model). Access it, but don't twiddle anything yet.

Crank the steering wheel full-lock to one side and hold it there. Listen to your servo:
- if it's straining for all it's worth, you've got the EPA set too wide to that side - past the physical limit for your model. While holding the steering wheel at full lock, adjust the EPA down (toward center, or less travel) until the straining sound goes away. At that point, you've got the EPA to that side adjusted correctly.
-if it's quietly holding position, you're either at or under the ideal full lock position. You'll need to adust the EPA up (more travel) to make full use of the available steering on your vehicle. Keep adjusting until the servo starts to strain, then back it off until it stops.

Once you've done either of those variant steps, you can repeat the process for the other side. Tadaa! You're done.

Set your epa on the steering to 90-95. With the large tires, you will not notice any difference but it will keep your servo alive. I have had a hitec 5735 for well over three years and it has gone into about 5 different vehicles.

I made a bracket in mine and used dual hitec 645's... I needed to build it in a hurry for something and the lhs had no 1/4 scale servos so I ad libbed. it worked out pretty good so I left it. same deal with endpoints. I like to work things out for lengths and crap to try not using the radio settings too much. Heli mentality ;)

I made a bracket in mine and used dual hitec 645's... I needed to build it in a hurry for something and the lhs had no 1/4 scale servos so I ad libbed. it worked out pretty good so I left it. same deal with endpoints. I like to work things out for lengths and crap to try not using the radio settings too much. Heli mentality ;)

Have any pics?

Set the EPA to 50%
Turm the wheels maks, if they reach the steering stops, reduce EPA by 5%, if not, increase by 10%

Repeat until they just don't reach the steering stops

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks