Shock oils....?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super654

What is the difference between Viscosity and Wt oils ?

I know they are not the same as 50 Wt is not 5000 Viscosity ?

So is there some way to match Wt with Viscosity ?

Cheers Brad.

The only true measurement for a shock oil is in centistokes (cst) and this denotes the viscosity, weight (wt) as seen on many bottles of silicone oil is an RC manufacturers way of confusing people into buying their product at stupidly high margins.

Wt bears no relation to cst.

There is a chart I saw somewhere on the net trying to give some correllation between various RC manufacturers grades whether they were given in wt or cst, it is all very confusing.

You can buy from distributors approx. one litre bottles of pure silicone oil for around £12-15, a lot better than paying £7 for a 50ml bottle.

Just to say also, that there are only a handful of companies in the world manufacturing various grades of pure silicone oil, one of these is Dow Corning.

Thanks for the reply mate, would love to see that chart, if you come across it, be sure to post it up for us.

Cheers Brad.

Nice one atom.

It is confusing with all the different makes out there and what they put on them for a measure.

Cheers Brad.

I understand what you say about the oils Jon, but I've found that FG and Contrast oil do seem to be very consistant so if you stick to one brand you'll have a reasonable idea of what you're using.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks