Shock setup for HPI Baja 5B

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neeper

I'm still running the stock setup on my Baja 5B SS with 40wt with 2-hole pistons in the fronts and 5wt with 16-hole pistons in the rears. It's time to rebuild the shocks and was curious as to what a better setup would be for just bashing around and having fun.

What are people running these days for their shock setup on their Baja 5bs these days for just bashing around? Fork or silicone oil? Shock oil weight? Number of holes for pistons?

I'm still running the stock setup on my Baja 5B SS with 40wt with 2-hole pistons in the fronts and 5wt with 16-hole pistons in the rears. It's time to rebuild the shocks and was curious as to what a better setup would be for just bashing around and having fun.

What are people running these days for their shock setup on their Baja 5bs these days for just bashing around? Fork or silicone oil? Shock oil weight? Number of holes for pistons?
I mean I would tell you what I'm running but I have a heavy ass 71cc that's never moved under its own power so I have no idea how it handles with said setup ???‍♂️

I mean I would tell you what I'm running but I have a heavy ass 71cc that's never moved under its own power so I have no idea how it handles with said setup ???‍♂️

dougstar, I'll try 40wt silicone in all and see what it's like. Thanks!

Z.hb71, sounds like you've got quite the beast! I'm curious to see what it looks like, any photos?

dougstar, I'll try 40wt silicone in all and see what it's like. Thanks!

Z.hb71, sounds like you've got quite the beast! I'm curious to see what it looks like, any photos?
Thanks. I mean it would be a beast if it ran for more than 3 mins ????
IMG_20190815_213157.jpg
Since then I removed the panels (looks horrible from close up)
IMG_20190808_180358.jpg
IMG_20190808_180406.jpg
It's kinda rough but getting there

I'm redoing my 5B I bought off a guy a few weeks back. Aluminum EVERYTHING, ran 50:1 fuel, maybe a quart through it. Had no idea what he was doing. I just finished the front suspension with RPM arms and cleaned and refilled the shocks with Team Losi 40 w shock oil. I used 40W on my Redcat Rampage as well.

I rebuilt the front shocks so far using Team Associated 40wt silicone shock oil. They feel a little thicker and alot smoother than the 40wt hpi fork oil.

I'm trying to find the front 3-hole pistons (HPI part number 85413) for the rears but unable to find them anywhere.

Last edited:

Man, I don't know what came on my rovan, but it's interesting to think the different weight oils will affect performance!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks