Shocks! Shocks! Shocks! Mod your shocks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amp27

Hello all, very new to these boards but not at all to RC, except 1/5 scale.

Soon after buying my DB I noticed the poor poor shocks these cars come with.
I excepted this but not this bad. If you like the many other people that hate how there car nose dives and hops around on the bumps and don't want to spend the 200-300 dollars for new shocks when your brand new car should already have decent shocks!

So you ask, what do the shocks have to do with the nose dive. Great question, Im simply terms it has to do with the rebound rate of the shocks. This is why some have reported positive results with the ddm 20 percent stiffer springs. The stiffer spring helps the shocks to compress less on the jump face so they have less to rebound. The slow rebound rate is due to the crazy thick fluid that these cars came with. So we have to change to a normal weight fluid, but we also have to address the massive valving the stock cars have.

The stock specs on the shock oil is not know at this time, buts its thick, like diff fluid.

the stock piston has 4, 2.8mm holes
this makes for a total area of about 24.6mm^2

Ive heard the new pistons from losi are 6 x 1.5mm
this makes for a total of 10.59 mm^2

and then a report of 4 x 1.9mm.... totaling 11.3 mm^2
This guy plugs the stock holes with grub screws and then drilled new, smaller holes.

another report with good results from just blocking 2 holes out. so 2 x 2.8 =12.3mm^2

So you can see the stock value is much higher then all the rest, but keep in mind the you are going to changing to 40 to 90wt shock oil instead of the diff oil the stock car has.

I like the new 6 hole pistons from losi, with the smallest overall valve area. which allows you to drill them out of you ever need it. Ideally i would love blank sets that I can drill myself.

any more input is great. post up. here was just some numbers for you to munch on.

i personally will be testing some of these very soon.

Im going to smart with changing to some 90wt oil I use in my subarus, and leaving the stock pistons to see how that works. then i have another set of stock pistons that im going to be doing work on. probably going to try the grub screws and new 4 holes. starting at 1.5mm, then 2mm.

No idea how well useing this castrol 90wt diff fluid will go. i use it on other parts of the car. even in the diff case to lube the ring and pinion.

I still need to proof read this. probably tons of errors.

Not to bad
As for shocks that's a different story
I worked with them for over a year and the best I could do was put 5ive shocks on it
The big problem with the car is the car it was not ment to be a race car
Just a stepping stone car up the ladder to better cars
But you can help it with the shocks and then it breaks the drive pins more because you're going faster
But it's fun to try and figure out how to fix it and if you don't mind working on the car ever 15 minutes
It is a fun car
I'll be looking for your results

Yes I ask pat dad to make them and he was looking at it but then his wife got sick and and he's been working with the more important project of getting her better
And has not been on here much [emoji469]

Company's will come along with better metal soon. Not just flm with more beef and same metal

The FLM's have been doing really well for me. I've been running the Dibby pretty hard and haven't broken a pin or twisted a shaft sine I changed them out. All of the other stock pins I replaced with 4mm hardened steel that had been cryo treated. Again, not a problem with breakage.:)

I'm playing around with the stock shocks before giving up on them. I got the custom Pistons off eBay from the guy in Canada, the Ddm 20% springs and Hot racing piggy back rezzies. Going to start out with 30wt oil and see how they do.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks