Shroud for reed engines?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok quick update!

ive fit the locker, had to use a couple of shims inside the locker as the output yolk had a little too much play for my liking, but couple of shims later, nice a snug & feels solid, i also done away with the stock bolts that it came with and used some slightly longer ones so I could use nut/spring washer so no chance of bolts coming loose. Drive train is smooth as silk with basically zero resistance! I can tell already that the lack of power issue I had will be gone! ..but I may now find I have the opposite...too much power!? time will tell, I've been looking up some heavy duty shafts incase, FLM do some and I think vitavon do, but not sure if they are compatible with the gas 2.0..so will need to do a little digging to find out unless anyone here knows if they are compatible with the gas 2.0?

Depending how it goes, if the power is plentiful (as I'm hoping) I may even hook the front diff back up to just see how the power is with the centre diff locker.

pics to follow!

ok quick update!

ive fit the locker, had to use a couple of shims inside the locker as the output yolk had a little too much play for my liking, but couple of shims later, nice a snug & feels solid, i also done away with the stock bolts that it came with and used some slightly longer ones so I could use nut/spring washer so no chance of bolts coming loose. Drive train is smooth as silk with basically zero resistance! I can tell already that the lack of power issue I had will be gone! ..but I may now find I have the opposite...too much power!? time will tell, I've been looking up some heavy duty shafts incase, FLM do some and I think vitavon do, but not sure if they are compatible with the gas 2.0..so will need to do a little digging to find out unless anyone here knows if they are compatible with the gas 2.0?

Depending how it goes, if the power is plentiful (as I'm hoping) I may even hook the front diff back up to just see how the power is with the centre diff locker.

pics to follow!
Something to consider...a 2wd vehicle, with the same power as its 4x4 counterpart will give the illusion of having more power because it will have significantly more slippage at the wheels. It may be fun, all the spinning and durt throwing, but it doesn't translate to better performance on the ground.

Something to consider...a 2wd vehicle, with the same power as its 4x4 counterpart will give the illusion of having more power because it will have significantly more slippage at the wheels. It may be fun, all the spinning and durt throwing, but it doesn't translate to better performance on the ground.
My fg is 2wd with a much less powerful engine, on the ground its double the fun of my dibby, low end it leaves the dibby for dust! 4wd is more point and go, thats not for me when bashing etc, But converted my dibby to 2wd now.

My fg is 2wd with a much less powerful engine, on the ground its double the fun of my dibby, low end it leaves the dibby for dust! 4wd is more point and go, thats not for me when bashing etc, But converted my dibby to 2wd now.

Thats not apples to apples though. The FG is a smaller, lighter 1/6 scale car vs a larger, heavier 1/5. If there is nothing that was binding up your front drive train on the dbxl, I don't think you will see much performance gain, more the illusion of it because it will most certainly try to blow the back tires off. If you like that type if driving, that's great, but, It won't get you out of the hole, to a corner or out of corner faster vs the same set up using 4x4. It's why real cars like the hellcat get their buts kicked in the 1/4 mile by awd cars with 2-300 less hp unless they are on slicks on a prepped track. They can't use the power otherwise. I'm not saying 2wd isn't fun but it won't transform your car into some power monster because you unhooked the front drive.

Thats not apples to apples though. The FG is a smaller, lighter 1/6 scale car vs a larger, heavier 1/5. If there is nothing that was binding up your front drive train on the dbxl, I don't think you will see much performance gain, more the illusion of it because it will most certainly try to blow the back tires off. If you like that type if driving, that's great, but, It won't get you out of the hole, to a corner or out of corner faster vs the same set up using 4x4. It's why real cars like the hellcat get their buts kicked in the 1/4 mile by awd cars with 2-300 less hp unless they are on slicks on a prepped track. They can't use the power otherwise. I'm not saying 2wd isn't fun but it won't transform your car into some power monster because you unhooked the front drive.
my fg was also on the heavy side as that was also full alloy, not quite as heavy as my dibby is now as the FG is 1/6 scale, but it wasn't far off & the engine was only a stock 29cc, around the same time I had my FG we had a 1/5 track where a lot of us met up regular, a few other guys had 4WDs (MCD/FG Baja), but most had 2WD HPI bajas as that was the newest thing at the time & also a couple of FG 2WD's, the 2WD's kicked out more power on the start line than the 4WD's. Even now when I watch vids of stock models, 2WD's (such as bajas etc) are rapid bottom end compared to stock 4WD's of similar engine etc (with the exception of leccy brushless systems as that's a different ball game altogether!).

Im not knocking 4WD at all, as at the end of the day its purely personal pref, none is better than the other. I prefer 2WD. If I was racing competitively, then maybe I would consider 4WD as its point and go and much more forgiving if you make an error...but for me I soon get bored of that, I'm a basher, and for bashing, I prefer the characteristics of 2WD over 4WD all day long, both have there strength's and weaknesses & for me I know what the weakness is on my dibby!

but will see when I test this over next few days. imo there will definitely be more low end torque power off the line as all the power from engine is now being diverted to the rear only, so its 2 less diff to push & also 2 less rims/tires to drive which alone are pretty heavy.

Beforehand the wheels didn't even try to spin from a stand still, then as soon it got moving the power kicked in. Whereas my FG, the power was there all through the throttle range.

For me, a smallbore is not enough engine to move my dibby the way I want, when I see vids of 5T's that have bigbores the power is insane (too much power with some of them!) I know im not going to get no where near that with a smallbore & with also because of the weight of my dibby along with rim/tire choice. Here in UK we don't really have any loose surfaces to run thanks to out lovely wet weather! so its usually boggy/wet/muddy fields etc so the tires dig in & that's when I can hear the engine bogging slightly, but again my 2WD FG just tares it up & I much prefer that.

in the past ive posted a few vids of my dibby and you can clearly see/hear that the power bottom end isn't great, like I say, tried different gearing/pipes/engines...still pretty much same outcome give or take.

Next time I'm out this weekend hopefully weather dependant!, I will get a vid of my FG to show the difference in performance between that & my dibby its basically night & day! The dibby vid will be an older vid as I've now converted it 2WD so will get some vid of that to!

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks