Silver Lake 09 June 19-21

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmahh

Bajastafarian Madnes
PLUS member
SLBajaBashFlyer09_web.gif

if your in the area, or if your not, don't miss your chance to hang out with the us at this years Silver Lake 09 BajaBash event.

June 19th thru the 21st.

we have a campsite with room to spare, plenty of hotels in the area too.

we have most all the major sponsors offering up stuff for the giveaways!

Come on out and enjoy a weekend of great Sand Dune, Killer Giveaways, and people you just have to meet and hang out with!!!!

Attachments

• SLBajaBashFlyer09_web.jpg
    SLBajaBashFlyer09_web.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
no bajas needed, but you will want to sand proof if you plan on running yours. its beautful there, but the sand is a killer. mostly of motors and clutches.

Oh, thats a great topic and Idea BTB. I ll try to accomplish that tomorrow on here, HBF, and the other forums i posted too. Should only take a bit of search time on HBF to assemble the appropriate thread links, or info for a new Sand Proofing Sticky.

If i can dig up the time in the next week or 2, i ll try to strum up a Pic tutorial of some of the things important to safe sand running.

Seems like we needed another thread with some more info on the dunes and sand proofing your baja.

1st the dunes in general.

You will either need to bring a 4x4 or catch a ride with some in a 4x4 to get in/out of the sand dunes....technically you can walk it, but it's a long walk that only children are foolish enough to make :lol:. If you are bringing a 4x4 you will need an ORV Sticker, State Park Sticker, Orange Flag and Flag Mount, all are available locally when you get into town. 99.9% of the 4x4's out there will do just fine, whether it's an AWD Subaru, and Explorer, Truck, Jeep, Etc. You will need to lower the air pressure in your tires to 15lbs before going onto the dunes!!! Seriously, it's a must.

Bring a canopy and sand bags (or grain/burlap bags) to fill with sand to tie your canopy to the ground so it doesn't fly away (stakes will not work on the dunes), table to work on the baja, chairs, cooler (no beer on the dunes, it's the DNR's rule!!! and I'm serious, if you bring it I will likely dump it out if the DNR doesn't find it because that's how the dunes will get closed down and I've been going for over 15 years and want my kids to enjoy it long after I'm gone)

Bring your family, there's lots to do, go-karts, fishing, beaches galore, boat/jetski rentals, etc. I'd be bringing my wife & daughter but my wife has to go to her high school reunion (without me because it happened to be the same weekend :()

When driving in your 4x4 on the dunes, if you decide to go up any of the larger dunes do not go to fast the 1st time, you want to crest the hill with as little momentum as possible so you don't endo and flip your vehicle. Last year we saw a Jeep crest one of the hills to fast and endo'd with 2 car seats and kids in it...thank god they were all okay, but it was the drivers fault for not knowing what was on the other side of the hill.

I must be getting old, that sure seems like a lot of lecturing, sorry. I've seen many people get hurt and many new restrictions on the sand dunes.

If you want to see pics from the sand dunes go to my website at www.akkoz.com and click in the 4 wheeling and any of the links in there from Silver Lake.

oh ya, and you should bring Sun block, duh....girls in bikini's....

On to the Baja

1. These threads have some helpfull suggestions to keep the sand out of your carb/engine.
http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11876 & http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11877

2. Get yourself a Yamadude (sponsor) throttle linkage so you don't have a sticky throttle

3. Get yourself a kill switch and a 2.4ghz radio so you don't have a runaway...I'd suggest PB Killswitch (sponsor)

4. You'll need an enclosed clutch assembly, like Modified RC's (sponsor) to keep the sand from eating your clutch up, especially if it's a stock clutch. A stock clutch will without a enclosed assembly will likely only last 1 tank of fuel, unless you drive like a girl! You're best bet is to get a Turtle Racing (sponsor) HD Clutch System and a Lauterbach or Elcon 4 shoe clutch. If you can't afford that stuff, think of it this way, you'll likely need several stock cluches to get you through a single day....I think it was shortfuse last year that went thru at least 3 or 4 stock clutches in a day.

5. Paddle tires, no they are not absolutely necessary but they're awesome in the sand! I personally say don't run any foams in them, but to each their own.

6. TGN Redneck Air Filter & Outerwears prefilter and pull start filler

7. take a ball pen apart and cut the spring into 1/3's and use 2 of those to put between your brake pads.

If anyone has any more suggestions or any questions post em up.

June won't come soon enough will it!!!!!!!!!!

I copied this from HBF. i will now read thru it and see if i can add anything on the sand proofing of your RC for the hard sand enviroment.

Last edited:
ok, a few things. if you cant read the HBF linked threads. post up, and i will add to this thread, the best info from those threads. but honestly, just register and then log in and go to the links. Its much easier, as those perticular threads are just STUFFED with great mods/ideas and such to help with running in the Sand. Most of them are optional, but a few are Manditory imo.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks